Different cue needs for VP players

Bring it here for discussions about REAL LIFE pool adventures!

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Different cue needs for VP players

Post by Concentrator »

If you practice every day in VP and sometimes play tournaments in real life, the cue you need will be completely different.

If you play real life pool many times a week, a thin shaft is better. But if you don't play often, you will miss simple shots, so a fat shaft is more forgiving.

Many pros use a thin shaft to get less deflection and more spin, but your stroke needs to always be at its highest level. If you only play a couple times a month, it's impossible to have a good stroke so you won't be able to reach your highest skill ever. The extra spin you get with a thin shaft won't make a difference if you can't make the balls.

Lately I have only played once per year. I used my old Meucci that is 11.75mm, I couldn't make a ball, stroke was horrible. A year later I played again, this time I used a 13mm house cue, I made every ball, even long shots with the cue jacked up, I never made those with my thin Meucci.
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Re: Different cue needs for VP players

Post by Concentrator »

I would say a 12.75mm Low Deflection shaft is perfect for VP players. Like Predator, Tiger or OB shafts.
The 11.75 Low Deflection shafts are only for those who play real pool twice a week.
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

Ok, now I have played twice within a week period, I like thin shaft better now.

I measured my Meucci again, it's 11.5mm with pro taper. It's very hard to measure. Maybe even 11.4mm. Looks like toothpick. When I use spin I'm afraid it will crack in half. I need to shoot very soft with it.
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

I'm playing real pool twice per week, and the OB-2 shaft (11.75mm) is the best. It's surprisingly easy to switch between real life and VP4 because OB-2 has almost the same deflection as the Tiger Pro X (11.75 mm) and look equally thick to give the same aiming. "Parallel English" aiming is a must, any other setting gives a messy switch between real and VP (miss by full diamond).