VP3DL: Stuck with 640x480 16bit resolution.

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

kilesa
Wannabe
Wannabe

VP3DL: Stuck with 640x480 16bit resolution.

Post by kilesa »

I had no problems playing the game (latest version of VP3DL) at any setting on my laptop (560m 1.5gb) but I recently bought a pc and now when I install VP3DL, I only get the option of 640x480 16bit or the same resolution in windowed mode.

I've tried dragging the window to desktop size but it snaps back to the original size. Editing the registry to set 1080 (all resolutions showed on the laptop) but no effect. Updating and rolling back graphics (Gigabyte 7950 3GB) drivers has no effect either.

I even reinstalled windows as a last desperate attempt but no joy. Windows 7 x64 and DX is fully updated too. The only difference to any other time I've installed the game is the swap from nVidia to AMD graphics but I'm guessing it's the amount of VRAM on the GPU causing the problem as it doesn't seem to be recognised. In the settings, the HD textures isn't ticked (I've ticked and unticked), the low resolution and bit depth. It looks like it's running in software mode as a result of whatever problem it is.

I've spent a few days trawling these forums looking for similar problems but couldn't find a fix.

The game was a gift from my son on the 2nd of this month so would qualify for a refund but I'd rather get it fixed. I can't afford to buy VP4 either so that isn't an option just yet. Hopefully in the future though as it looks great.

Can someone give me any other ideas for fixing this please? The only problem I'm dreading is that it's DX8 not supported on the 7950 as I can't see any way round that.

I don't know if this will help but I looked at the message text file in the install directory and saw this:
Clearing log file

aticfx32.dll
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
vendor id = 4098, device id = 26522, subsystem = 625742936, revision = 0
driver version = 0
GUID = d7b71ee2-24da-11cf-e877-4c5afc2cd35
Video memory available = -1092423680

aticfx32.dll
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
vendor id = 4098, device id = 26522, subsystem = 625742936, revision = 0
driver version = 0
GUID = d7b71ee2-24da-11cf-e877-4c5afc2cd35
Video memory available = -1092423680

Creating fullscreen 800 x 600 x 32 x 0 Hz
Created fullscreen
GUID = 84e63de0, buffer = 11cf46aa
TestPixelPokeCapability 32 bit - value read back = bf000080
Poking
It picks up GPU type and id's but the video memory available looks wrong, unless 3GB is written as some sort of different value.

PC spec if you need it:

i5 3570k (stock clock or overclocked makes no difference)
DDR3 2133
Gigabyte 7950 WIndforce x3 3GB

If you need any more information, let me know.
kilesa
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: VP3DL: Stuck with 640x480 16bit resolution.

Post by kilesa »

As an update, I got in touch with Celeris and they told me VP3DL doesn't support 3GB of VRAM. Shame it doesn't say that when you buy it in some sort of recommended spec list.

Bought VP4 instead.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

kilesa wrote:As an update, I got in touch with Celeris and they told me VP3DL doesn't support 3GB of VRAM. Shame it doesn't say that when you buy it in some sort of recommended spec list.

Bought VP4 instead.
I think in the time VP3DL came on the market, there was not yet 3GB of VRAM ;-)
kilesa
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by kilesa »

I understand that, but as the software is still for sale, perhaps a note on the VRAM limit would help people make the correct choice of which version to buy?

Is it possible to give away the license key to someone else on a more compatible PC? I know it's tied to my email address but I'd be happy to transfer it to someone else I know who can make use of it. It's a shame to waste the money totally.

As a side note, I'm enjoying VP4 but the pockets are so tight compared to VP3. Power shots bounce straight off the back of the pocket and back out and the angles of the pocket are seriously unforgiving in the single player mode. No more pinching angle from potting till I've got used to it. I've had to go from good luck setting in VP3 down to hard in VP4 but at least it's more of a challenge now. Slow Roll actually beat me last night. So embarrassing. #-o