still a problem with firewall

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

still a problem with firewall

Post by mart »

Steve. I've installed the new update but there is still an issue with the running VP4 with Online Armor.

I can now run VP 4 without shutting down the firewall, however... when on the main menu, the cursor will not move with the mouse, but will only move when I click the mouse button or move the mouse wheel. For example: I move the mouse to the left, the cursor doesn't move, but as soon as I press a button, or move the mouse wheel, the cursor will jump straight to the position where it would've been in normal movement. moving the mouse while clicking is the only way I can navigate the menu's. Once I start a game, it seems to play ok with no problems, but then if I open the in-game menu's I have the same problem where I have to keep clicking the mouse buttons or mouse wheel.

This problem goes away if I do as I was doing before by shutting down the firewall before running VP4 and then running the firewall after VP4 has started. I've messed around with various settings in the graphics section, but nothing works (and I dont really now what Im doing anyway)

Its not a major problem for me, just a small inconvenience but thought you'd probably want to know anyway. :)
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Re: still a problem with firewall

Post by vpeer »

Let me know if you still have this problem with 4.1.1.3.
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

I downloaded the new update yesterday. It didn't fix the problem unfortunately.

Do you think that re-installing the firewall might solve the problem? Is it worth trying or is it best to leave it until you've found the cause of the problem?
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Did you get this issue resolved?
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

no
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

That is so bizarre. I guess I'll have to install online armor and try it myself to see if I can reproduce it. Obviously online armor is messing with the desktop. Can you play with the settings for online armor and see if you can change what happens?
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Am I just dumb or what.

This online armor thing is just yet another third party firewall piece of software that you dont need if your using a router.

Im fairly sure that pretty much everyone who has had a router for a number of years is running what im running...windows firewall and my routers firewall.

Why you feel the need to run a third partY bit of software is beyond comprehension.

Your router is your main firewall thats essentially what it is and does.

ONLINE ARMOR.

Take some advice.....get rid of it....you do not need it period.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I'm not familiar with online armor so I don't know all the functionality.

As far a firewalls go, Hugh is correct to some extent. Most routers have firewalls in them, some more flexible than others. The default settings provided on router firewalls provide reasonable protection. There are some use advantages to software firewalls, mostly ease of use and configuration, at least for most consumer products. If you have a router firewall and want something additional the Windows firewall is probably more than enough added protection.
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

9balldotcom wrote:Am I just dumb or what.

This online armor thing is just yet another third party firewall piece of software that you dont need if your using a router.

Im fairly sure that pretty much everyone who has had a router for a number of years is running what im running...windows firewall and my routers firewall.

Why you feel the need to run a third partY bit of software is beyond comprehension.

Your router is your main firewall thats essentially what it is and does.

ONLINE ARMOR.

Take some advice.....get rid of it....you do not need it period.

And what makes you think Im using a router? I've never had a router in all my years of using the internet, I don't know anything about them. Im actually using a "pay as you go" usb internet and have been for a couple of years.
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

vpeer wrote:That is so bizarre. I guess I'll have to install online armor and try it myself to see if I can reproduce it. Obviously online armor is messing with the desktop. Can you play with the settings for online armor and see if you can change what happens?
Playing with setting in Online Armor is not something Im confident in doing because I don't really know what to part to be playing with.. lol. I'll do what I said in a previous post and reinstall it. I'll do that today and get back to you and let you know. :)
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Ok Mart that explains it...the assumption like most would be that you were on the same as most of us,the standard router setup so I stand corrected there.

However is this the free version of Online Armor your using ?

If so why not remove it and try some other free firewalls and see how you go with that.
I used Zone Alarm when i was on a modem and never had any issues with it.
There are others like Commodo etc etc,Im sure other guys could recommend a few to try.
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

9balldotcom wrote:Ok Mart that explains it...the assumption like most would be that you were on the same as most of us,the standard router setup so I stand corrected there.
no worries mate... I think we can all be guilty of wrongly making assumptions :-)
However is this the free version of Online Armor your using ?

If so why not remove it and try some other free firewalls and see how you go with that.
I used Zone Alarm when i was on a modem and never had any issues with it.
There are others like Commodo etc etc,Im sure other guys could recommend a few to try.
Hehe, after 13 years on the internet, I've tried them all...ZA, commodo, etc this is the only one I've not ended up having problems with and I've had it for about 5 or so years now. So, I tend to stay with ones Im most comfortable with.

thanks for trying to help anyway :-)
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

vpeer wrote:That is so bizarre. I guess I'll have to install online armor and try it myself to see if I can reproduce it. Obviously online armor is messing with the desktop. Can you play with the settings for online armor and see if you can change what happens?

Ok steve, I did what I should have done all along, I uninstalled Online Armor and then reinstalled it. Seems to have solved the problem. Maybe I should have disabled OA before installing VP4. Silly me!
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Glad the issue is solved.