How to play English Billiards

Bring it here for discussions about REAL LIFE pool adventures!

Moderator: 9balldotcom

ingmu
Hustler
Hustler

How to play English Billiards

Post by ingmu »

I only know English Billiards from videos on YouTube.
I think English Billiards is about making canons, and getting position for continuous easy scores.

I have a question after watching videos.
The pro players like to move the cue ball a little in D when ball in hand.
And then they make a long hazard easily.

Is there a trick?
The position of cue ball is so important that they have to adjust a little on such a long shot?
Is it making the separating angle 45 degree or hitting object ball half-ball or ...?

And I don't see they check the angle by walking around the table.
Does anyone feel making a hazard is easier than potting a ball after you played a lot pool?
I feel hazard is easier in pool table but I can't explain why.
Snooker table is another thing. (harder)
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: How to play English Billiards

Post by zwylle »

I'm working with a pool trainer recently and he is teaching an aiming technique where any shot angle is an adjustion to some standard angles.
If you use this technique for a while, you start recognizing the standard angles (and angles between) without spending a lot of time walking around the table.
In training you practice shooting the standards, repeating the same shots over and over.
So any shot that's one of the standards is usually pretty easy make, because you already know exactly how to get down to it.
That's why I would do the same wth ball in hand. Move the cue to have one of my standard angles, even better if the object ball is always on the same spot.
I think the trick is just repetition.
Shoot the exact same shot a few thousand times and you got it down... (which is much easier said than done)
Hustler

Post by ingmu »

Thanks! That's very useful!
9ballnyc
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by 9ballnyc »

ingmu wrote:I only know English Billiards from videos on YouTube.
I think English Billiards is about making canons, and getting position for continuous easy scores.

I have a question after watching videos.
The pro players like to move the cue ball a little in D when ball in hand.
And then they make a long hazard easily.

Is there a trick?
The position of cue ball is so important that they have to adjust a little on such a long shot?
Is it making the separating angle 45 degree or hitting object ball half-ball or ...?

And I don't see they check the angle by walking around the table.
Does anyone feel making a hazard is easier than potting a ball after you played a lot pool?
I feel hazard is easier in pool table but I can't explain why.
Snooker table is another thing. (harder)
Thanks, I am very interested in Billiards since I was a kid but never had a chance and allot time for it. Now I got my table and I always play with my brother. :strokeit: