Foul on the highest color?

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Foul on the highest color?

Post by Hanterp »

Watching the Masters last week there was an incident about the rules. Jan Verhaas was referee.
As far as I can recall, a player fouled on two colors at the same shot. One four-points foul and one on the pink.
I did not folow the discussion too closely but I think Verhaas called a six point foul where the player first made a four points foul and next hitted the pink, making a 6 points foul.
Does that mean you get a foul on the highest color, rather than the first foul you make?
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Re: Foul on the highest color?

Post by Nam[BE] »

Should more than one foul be committed in the same stroke the highest value penalty shall be incurred
http://www.billiardworld.com/snooker.html

Yes indeed :)
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

In that case it is not correct implemented in VP3. My ( computer ) opponent first hitted a brown ball, followed by the pink and I only got 4 points....
I will make a post in the VP4 topic elsewhere on this site.

Thanks.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Graag gedaan ;)
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Hoe wist je dat ik Nederlander ben? :-)
( How did you know I am Dutch? )
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

Hanterp wrote:In that case it is not correct implemented in VP3. My ( computer ) opponent first hitted a brown ball, followed by the pink and I only got 4 points....
I will make a post in the VP4 topic elsewhere on this site.

Thanks.
If there's a red a on, you miss it and hit first the brown and then the pink, the foul is 4 points. But, if you first hit the brown and then hit the pink causing the pink to go into a pocket, then its a 6 point foul.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

If that quote from Nam[be] is correct about the highest foul, than it should be 6 points.... confusing.
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

Hanterp wrote:If that quote from Nam[be] is correct about the highest foul, than it should be 6 points.... confusing.
Yeah snooker rules are sometimes..

The thing is.. when missing red and getting first a hit to blue and then to pink they are not concidered as 2 seperate fouls (the foul here was missing the red and hitting blue (another "upside down" scenario: red on, hit the red and then white touches the black, its not a foul, you know, legal shot, no matter what ball the white touches after making a first contact)). Only if, blue gets hit first when red on and pink gets potted then its the value of the highest value ball, the pink. If a miss to ball on has been made and white makes a contact with a ball not on, as far as none of the balls goes to pocket the penalty is the value of the first ball contacted by the white (4-7).
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

It's as Fluke says. In the match you watched on tv the pink must have gone in, no other reason to award a 6 points foul.

So an extreme example: you're shooting at a red ball but mistakenly hit the brown first, after which the cueball directly hits the blue, the pink and the black in that order. If none of the balls go in you get a 4 points foul (for hitting the brown instead of a red). If the black goes in you get a 7 points foul (for potting the black even if you hit the brown first). And say only the blue goes in and the cueball still hits the black afterwards, you get a 5 points foul (for potting the blue even if you hit the brown first and regardless if the cueball goes to hit the black or not).

A reverse situation here is if you mistakenly hit the pink for example, so you get a 6 points foul. But if after hitting the pink somehow the brown goes in, following the line of thinking from above you should get a 4 points foul instead. However "Should more than one foul be committed in the same stroke the highest value penalty shall be incurred", so that will remain a 6 points foul shot (unless the black suddenly goes in, which will make it 7).

In a simple conclusion: if you hit a wrong ball you get X points for the foul, and X only increases if a ball of higher color gets potted in the same shot. And this was correctly implemented in VP3 as I remember.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Thanks for explaining it.

That means there is a difference between a normal foul and a foul where you pot a ball. Sounds illogical to me. A foul is a foul I would say...