Inpossible snooker to solve

Bring it here for discussions about REAL LIFE pool adventures!

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Inpossible snooker to solve

Post by Hanterp »

Not sure if I should place this question overhere. If not so, please move it to the correct place.

I have a question about the snooker-rules.
A pro is snookered like this:

There is no way to get out of this. What should he do? Is the referee happy with whatever he plays, because he never can get out of it, or is there something he should try ( more or less ) to avoid a miss in this situation?
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inpossible snooker to solve

Post by 9balldotcom »

Without using that picture as a guide I can explain that in any situation like that if it occurs in any similar manner the referee will use common sense in this instance.

If the shot is plain to see that its impossible for a player to hit the ball ON without fouling he will still as the rules state call a foul,but he will not call a miss.

The fact that he doesnt call a miss and that the opposing player doesnt have the option of having the balls replaced means that the game will then continue from where the balls have finished after the player has attempted the impossible snooker.

The opposing player will still have a possible 3 choices.

1.He can play his shot from where the balls have finished.
2.If he doesnt like where the balls have finished he can make his opponent play from where the balls are at present.
3.Lastly if theres a resultant FREEBALL called then the player can nominate any other ball as the ball on and play from there.

Hope that explains it.

PS
If this occurs in VP4,the game will always call a miss as far as the rules go,so then its the opposing player that uses commonsense and follows the above choices.
What he does not do in this instance is keep making his opponent play a shot just to get points cos that is simply unsportsmanlike.Good and fair snooker players know the etiquette if this rare situation happened.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

I think the interesting aspect, and the one hanterp was most curious of, is whether the snookered player can play a tactical foul from this position, kind of like a push-out in 9-ball, or if this would be deemed a miss since the player obviously did not attempt to make a legal shot (even though a legal shot would be impossible to complete)
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Yes, that was my point. In that position there was no way to play a legal shot, so what would be acceptable? Should a 'push out' be acceptable or should I play a jumpshot towards the reds?
I understand the miss-rule in general, but this position is hard to know what to do without violating the etiquette of sportsmanship...
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

You see thats why im an expert on snooker rules. :fart: :bootyshake: :strokeit:

The player must make what is deemed a valid attempt to hit the ball on even from that impossible position...yes i know that sounds silly but when you consider that the referee is the one who decides whats valid and what isnt then you cannot roll up and play a soft shot......

I think the interesting aspect, and the one hanterp was most curious of, is whether the snookered player can play a tactical foul from this position, kind of like a push-out in 9-ball, or if this would be deemed a miss since the player obviously did not attempt to make a legal shot (even though a legal shot would be impossible to complete)

in this instance as that image above shows if you were the player Albi and did the type of shot you suggested....it would be silly to do it cos your immediately going to leave a freeball and your next shot wont be as tough cos youll have a path to the reds when your opponent plays a colour up the table to the reds and leaves you snookered behind one of the other two.

Think about it. the ref can always over ride the written law for the miss rule if in his opinion the shot was way too tough and regardless of what shot you did play the refs uses commonsense in his judgement in this instance

Im the Jan verhass of VP3 snooker rules :-"
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

9balldotcom wrote:You see thats why im an expert on snooker rules. :fart: :bootyshake: :strokeit:

Im the Jan verhass of VP3 snooker rules :-"
I am the expert in Dutch names and his name is Jan Verhaas [-X
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Its as ive said all along...the problem with the dutch language is you go overboard on vowels with your doubles a's and double ee's as if one isnt enough :bootyshake:
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

9balldotcom wrote:Its as ive said all along...the problem with the dutch language is you go overboard on vowels with your doubles a's and double ee's as if one isnt enough :bootyshake:
On the other hand, we say just 'bal' and not 'ball' Your nickname would be easier in Dutch ;-)