Virtual Pool 3 (Jeanette-CD-Version) under Windows 7 64-Bit

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

DotWin
Wannabe
Wannabe

Virtual Pool 3 (Jeanette-CD-Version) under Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by DotWin »

Hi!

I own the original Jeanette-CD-Version of "Virtual Pool 3" and would like to play it on my PC with Windows 7 64-Bit.

Unfortunately, it does not work at all:
Installation of the game works fine, but when I try to start it, the game first shows the Interplay logo as an image and after some time the program closes itself and a Windows error message appears, that the program was closed due to an error.
I found the last official patch for the game (CD version) which is version 3.0.9.9 (from 2001) - yes, I know that this no longer available on the Celeris web page, but it was back then! - but it cannot be installed, as an SETUP error occurs immediately after starting the EXE file.

I tried all things I could think of (different paths, Administrator rights, Windows compatibility settings, installing it under Windows XP on a different PC and then copying the files to Windows 7, which got me the error message that VP3 is corrupted and I should re-install it), but unfortunately to no avail.

I do not want to buy a new (upgrade) licence for the DL version of "Virtual Pool 3", as I already purchased a version I like which worked fine under Windows XP on my old system and with "Virtual Pool 4" being released probably this year.

Is there any way to get the original Jeanette-CD-Version of "Virtual Pool 3" incl. last official patch to work under Windows 7 64-Bit without upgrading to the DL version?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

DotWin
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Re: Virtual Pool 3 (Jeanette-CD-Version) under Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by AlinVille »

I'm willing to send you a serial for the DL version, PM if interested.
DotWin
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by DotWin »

Hello!

Thank you for the offer, but I am not sure, if this would be legal.

I have no problem to buy a a software licence of something I like; in fact I just bought "Virtual Pool Mobile" for my Windows Smartphone and nearly all releases of "Virtual Pool" for PC ("Virtual Pool 2", "Virtual Pool Hall", "Virtual Pool 3") since the last 15 years.
But it would really bother me, if now I purchased "Virtual Pool 3 DL" and in just a few months "Virtual Pool 4" will be released which I definitely need to buy, especially because I have already bought VP3 and just want to play it on my new PC with Windows 7 64-Bit.

DotWin
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

What hes offering you is perfectly legal and if I were you Id get rid of the jeannette lee version and take up the offer of a free serial number.
You should go to Celeris and download the 3311 version and use the serial number that Alinville provides to you,that way you got the most up to date version and if you wish you can join us online.
Heres the link to download the DL version
http://www.celeris.com/games/vp3/downVP3/VP3_3311.exe

You kniow theres a saying....dont look a gift horse in the mouth....theres also a saying "dont piss down my back and tell me its raining"....but hey thats just me quoting a line from Outlaw Josey Wales :bootyshake:
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

DotWin wrote:But it would really bother me, if now I purchased "Virtual Pool 3 DL" and in just a few months "Virtual Pool 4" will be released which I definitely need to buy, especially because I have already bought VP3 and just want to play it on my new PC with Windows 7 64-Bit.
Yeah I can see that making sense, paying for a 10 years old game to get improvements in physics and the possibility to play online with a handful of players isn't that tempting for most people I think... as long as they can still play the older version. That's why I offered a serial since I still got a few unused... and it would just be a waste to remain unused forever. I'm at work right now so I can PM you the serial tonight when I get home. Then you could try to show up online sometime :occasion2:

It is legal!
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Good Alin, send me one, and send funds too, :p
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

send all here
rodd
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by rodd »

Same here, I have the CD and tried to install under Win7 64bit.
It didn't play at first, then I set the .exe to run under Win XP Mode and it worked.
However the graphics are all messed up and the game is unplayable. I couldn't find any updates.

I tried changing my graphic card settings (8800 gts) as well as other system settings but nothing worked.

Any idea, anyone?
DotWin
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by DotWin »

@AlinVille:
I sent you a PM. :)

DotWin
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

@DotWin:
I didn't receive your PM for some reason, maybe you pressed Save instead of Submit after writing it. However I PMed you with the serial, let me know if you received it!

@Albinario:
Yes I thought twice about it and finally decided to give you a serial. AT LAST, HERE IT IS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtifpv4T0qA

@polomint77:
DotWin
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by DotWin »

@AlinVille:
Thank you very much for your PM.
I just sent you an answer and hope that this PM now has really been sent to you.
I don't know what went wrong the last time.

DotWin
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

Yeah it worked fine. Now all you have to do is install Gamespy and play online!
niick
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by niick »

Hello,

I have the Jeanette CD version (Virgin Whitelabel) from many years ago, but I can't play online without the newer one. I used the vp3upgrade tool and got a coupon, but I still can't get a link to the patch? Could someone from celeris hook me up? I can supply CD and registration info no problem. Used to play this a lot back in the day can't wait to start again.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Hi there.

Virgin white label version fine for offline play but no use anywhere else.

Ok heres what you do,

if you live in the states you can buy a serial for vp3 for just around 10 dollars and thats about 6 pounds GBP

You can find the link to download the full game from Celeris and also the discount voucher code on this page here http://www.9balldotcom.co.uk/buyvp3dl.htm

If you have any issues and need further help(which theres a possibility you might) then you can get back to me here on the forum.
niick
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by niick »

But I already own a copy, I paid for it. Why do I have to pay again? Like I said I can verify that I have a CD.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Unfortunately you paid for a re-released unsupported version that simply will not work online.There we quite a few people bought that version and as far as I can remember this version was not by order of celeris so there is no backup support for that one(ill stand corrected if that statement was incorrect)

The best thing then for you to do if youd rather not spend money on the supported DL version of VP3 is to save your money,then look at the new version VP4 when its released and try it out and if you like it you can then look at upgrading your game.
niick
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by niick »

I've really enjoyed vp3 and will definitely buy vp4 when it comes round. I just want to play this one online now like I used too through gamespy, is this not possible any more?!

Gamespy was a real pain to get working again (although this forum and your posts were very helpful) but when I try to load a room it says I need a newer version. This would be the DL one? But since I have the original why can't I just get a patch? Sorry if I'm labouring the point I don't mean to be argumentative, I just want to play pool. Thanks for your help btw.
niick
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by niick »

I have coughed up (reluctantly) a second time for vp3 :gagme:

It is however a great game, but still I'm a little annoyed.

Thanks for help 9ball.
yjlvolts13
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by yjlvolts13 »

Hi, I have an issue also about Virtual Pool 3. Can I get the serial number sent to me so I can play this game on Windows Vista which by the way does not work without a useful serial number?? Thank You!
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
petran79
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by petran79 »

For anyone interested and for educational purposes only or if you prefer JL to the other pool players for tutorial, game can be played in Windows 10 via the utility DXWND or combined with Dgvoodoo, if you want to switch resolutions. Though it would be better to convert the vp3 videos manually and replace the vp3dl/vp4 ones instead

On Windows 7 it worked in my case in an older computer, but I had to disable hardware acceleration or it would have issues with displaying the 3d ball models.
Windows XP and below is the most stable system for VP3:JL