Lack of tournaments

General tournament news, announcements, ideas and suggestions.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, zwylle

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lack of tournaments

Post by 9balldotcom »

Due to the lack of tournaments recently a few of the lobby members( very few) have voiced that its not good not to have tourneys.

What I want to know is this

Why then when tourneys have been available,theres a distinct lack of interest to play in them?
Why should Tds waste their time like they have been these past couple of months when people arent interested or what interest there is isnt enough to make it worth while doing a tourney.

I personally have tried to offer something slightly different and farer by doing the league night,thats quickly died as there its become a struggle to get 8 people interested.
Shaz and Polomint have cancelled tourney after tourney from lack of interest.

Now why is this?

Do the potential players not like the Tds,would you rather have your "OWN" TDS?
Dont you like what tourneys are on offer?

The ball is in YOUR court YOU the players need to say what the problem is,or isnt there one?
Unless you people can get together and come up with a suggestion or an answer then the present situation isnt likely to change.

Maybe we are all fed up and need something new like VP4?Maybe we are all waiting to see what happens.

So all of you people that want tourneys...YOU TELL US WHAT THE PROBLEM IS if there is one and you tell us why you cant muster up enough of your friends and buddies to join in the tourneys.

The active Tds we have at present dont want to waste their time arranging tourneys and setting aside their time night after night only to have it all wasted cos none of you can be bothered,so I have to assume theres some sort of a problem somewhere along the line.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: Lack of tournaments

Post by zwylle »

I see that there is not much interest now, but not offering anything won't make it better, rather worse.
Why don't you go back to running just a couple of tourneys a week that are scheduled?
Saturday and Sunday we usually get enough players for at least the popular games, 9 ball, snooker, 8 ball.
When those pick up again, maybe add some during the week.

I appreciate you tried the league night, but people who dont have a chance winning get frustrated with it and wont join to get their butt kicked for 3 hours straight.

Also I believe a big event like v9bwc would get more people to play in regular tourneys to get tourney practive.
When that one was cancelled everything else shut down.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I see that there is not much interest now, but not offering anything won't make it better, rather worse.
Why don't you go back to running just a couple of tourneys a week that are scheduled?
Saturday and Sunday we usually get enough players for at least the popular games, 9 ball, snooker, 8 ball.
When those pick up again, maybe add some during the week.

I appreciate you tried the league night, but people who dont have a chance winning get frustrated with it and wont join to get their butt kicked for 3 hours straight.

Also I believe a big event like v9bwc would get more people to play in regular tourneys to get tourney practive.
When that one was cancelled everything else shut down

In answer to the first point,not offering tourneys is from my point of view due to the major sporting event thats on and cos i anticipated that there would be a lack of interest and not worth my time,however that will be resolved as soon as its over.My regular friday night 9ball and sunday snooker will be back regardless

Andother tourneys dont stop cos im nothosting v9bwc,they were an inevitability judging on recent hisrory.

Id also like to remind you that sooner or later and it cant be far away,the current tourney system will be in need of funding and I can assure you that I will not be contributing to it and nor would I expect anyone else to.Its also a good time to remind people that those that play in tourneys on vp4 will in effect have paid to do so and unlike the majority in the present setup apart from those that paid contributions to the tourney system and the lack of more substantial comntributions should give you a clue to how much serious interest ther3e has been for tourneys in gamespy lobby.

VP3 tourneys are about to finish and it could be not that far away so as far as tourneys picking up again and interest improving,then I fear it may be a very short lived thing.
So when you find out that the funding is needed for the current system,I would ask you and others to think seriously before you throw money at it this time around and save what you have for whatever is required for vp4 and look at that as a better investment than keeping the presnt system propped up.
The prsent system is funded,but the lack of general maintainance to it for features that no longer work show that the guy who developed the system has a disrinct lack of time to maintain it and thats not impressive IMO its good money after bad.

In conclusion,VP3 tourneys will die,thats if theyre not dead already and as soon as further funding for the system is needed that will be as good a time as any to let it go.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

9balldotcom wrote:My regular friday night 9ball and sunday snooker will be back regardless.
Living in a US timezone I'd rather see 9 ball on Saturdays.
..and yes I know "others" could do that.. lol.
But why would they if the whole system shuts down when you decide to take a break.

Concerning funding the tourney system: I'm sure when the system is down for a few weeks you'll cough up some money.
Let me know and I'll match your contributions.

Post by AlinVille »

zwylle wrote:Also I believe a big event like v9bwc would get more people to play in regular tourneys to get tourney practive.
When that one was cancelled everything else shut down.
True.

However, regardless of what happens I don't think there's any possible long term solution. Also we have to note these issues are taking place now in the middle of the summer, time of year when lobby has always been the most crowded... so just imagine how the place will look like in a few months. And that relates to the tournaments. The way I see it:
- problem: 10 years old game;
- solution: none.

Would be nice to be proven wrong though!
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Concerning funding the tourney system: I'm sure when the system is down for a few weeks you'll cough up some money.
Let me know and I'll match your contributions.
I can assure you that this time around soon as the system goes down I will make no further contributions to the current(un maintained )system that we have.
I would also strongly urge no one else to make any further contributions to this system and save your hard earned money for the new game and registration on the vp4 server.
This is a time of change and having discussed a lot about the new system with Steve Chaplin its quite clear that he means to have a tourney system that is not only workable but worthwhile and also fun to actually be part of and not like it is now.

For me its not worth while putting any further money to this present system and a few weeks or months without it cant kill vp3 off any more than it being a nearly 10 year old game.
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

The money that is contributed is used to cover the hosting costs not for adding new features.
However, I did spend a couple of days implementing the contributory membership feature to say thank you for those that did contribute...how many other people of spent a couple days solid working on a website for vp3? And all you can do is evil witch back and urge people not to contribute.

At present I work on software development all day and don't have the energy left to work on developing a new tournament system in the evening as well. I am continuously thinking about what I'd like to do if I did do a new tournament system, but like I say my days are already spent developing software.

At some point I will write up my ideas. I think there is room for more than one tournament system.
Tournament Website: http://www.vphqtournaments.com
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Simon you already wrote up ideas and you asked for a section on the forum for the new tournament system....something to which youve clearly stated that time does not permit you to work on.

As I also stated the current system is NOT maintained,else if you had a look at it youll see there are issues on it on certain functions that do not work especially after you added the contributoary membership options.
The current system is not being maintained and ill stick to that opinion.

The reason I urge people not to contribute any more is that somewhere along the line and in the not too distant future I for one am no longer going to be here and have use for the present system and neither will those Tds that are invited to take part in VP4(if they are).

The lull in tournaments recently is not down specifically to Tds not hosting its to people not wanting to play in them.

Im planning and thinking ahead and looking at whats about to happen with VP4.
Youll see that Celeris are well ahead in their plans for their own vp4 tournament system as theres been a fair bit of discussion about it and its from those discussions that sets me thinking as to why I or anyone else should continuie further support for the present system.
I think there is room for more than one tournament system
Are you saying that there will be still need for the present tourney system once VP4 is launched?
If thats so then let those that still want the system cough up...I for one will not be and unless you have your own set of tds at hand then thats the only way there will be tourneys

People however should save their money(the limited few that did contribute) and put it to their participation of the new VP4 setup,but theyll have less to spend if they throw their money into a dead lobby where a fair amount of people havent actually supported vp3 at all they got illegal copies of the game and the many others that dont bother with tourneys.

The transission is only around the corner and its time those people that were seriously interested got focussed on whats ahead and not flog the dead horse that will be vp3 IMO.Oh yes theres going to be those that will have the stark choice of actually paying for something that is VP4 or staying where they are with vp3(their copied cracked version).

VP4 all will be contributing to a game and a tourney system and it wont be the limited few this time around and thats what i like and those that dont like that then they wont be missed.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

You make it sound like you have to take out a second mortgage in order to support the tourney system.
If that's true, you probably really rather save your money...

Nugget deserves to be treated with a lot more respect.
So far nobody has seen the VP4 tourney system.
It will probably we good, but the system we are using and were relying on for many years is the one Nugget developed.
He spent countless hours working on it. Anyone who has a remote idea about software development knows that creating something like this 'for free' takes a lot of dedication.
Even with a few features broken it is stil absolutely usable, if we only had TDs who would use it.

Bashing the system and Nugget, basically calling up for a boycott is not what I would expect you to do.
You used to be one of the biggest supporters and one of those with the most benefits.
Who would even care about what you say if you hadn't hosted hundreds of tournaments on the system Nugget created?
Now suddenly, when VP4 seems to happen this is all trash?

And you have to 'warn' people not to support it?
Wait at least until we have a release date for VP4.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

You make it sound like you have to take out a second mortgage in order to support the tourney system.
If that's true, you probably really rather save your money...

Nugget deserves to be treated with a lot more respect
Id invest my money on something im going to really get a return on and that at this monent in time when no ones really bothered about tourneys isnt the time.
If i get shoddy service from a product i put money into or i purchased I have every right to state an opinion whatever anyone else thinks.

And as for hosting tourneys its the only system we have had and its at one point had a lot of hard work put into it,but not any more so it doesnt deserve any more of my money.And clearly from the limited few that did dontate to it not a lot of other people have a similar opinion, or else we wouldnt have the same situation each time it comes around,the system goes down and we then scrabble around to get funding and its predominately the same people that donate...its not worth it now with the change thats due.Let some other people prop it up....then see how long it takes to get the money together huh?
creating something like this 'for free' takes a lot of dedication.
its certainly not been free its had a few hundred of mine and your dollars for the services of it and a few others.
Bashing the system and Nugget
Im bashing a system that I say as a user of it is not maintained as it should be and if that means bashing nugget then maybe he will take whatever precious time he has to fix the functionailty or at least have a look at it and try a few things he might find that issues are simple and quick to fixfrom time to time,maybe this is a wakeup call that money for this system might not be as forthcoming as expected least not from me it wont.

No one has mentioned anything about boycotting anything,except think twice about where your money goes especially at this point in time.....

Simon gets thanks for providing his tourneys system...he gets no thanks for it not being maintained and it having full functiaonality for all users.Surely thats not a lot to ask or if you had faulty goods would you just sit at home and put up with it?

if ive put my money into it then i sure as hell have bought the right to have my say on what im getting in return.You likewise can choose to defend it and Simon.

Now just to get things into perspective this has all came about cos Im not hosting for a few weeks and youve decided that vp3 has ground to a halt cos theres no tourneys remember....you keep forgetting and overlooking the lack of people to play in them.
What was Obamas Election call??? ITS TIME FOR CHANGE...well my change is staying in my pockets and you can feel free to donate and if you dont like me hosting tourneys on a system that youve put your money into that ive "trashed" and urged p[eople not to donate to ill be happy not to cos ive no intention of staying here any longer than i need to.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Nugget got never paid for his work.
Whatever money people donated was for the hosting service.
Don't confuse that with him getting paid.
His work was 'for free'.

Yes, I decided to defend him, and yes I'll continue pointing out that there are no tourneys if there are none and I'd like to play in some.
And no, I don't mind spending money to keep the tourney system up as long as there is anyone left who is willing to host.

Post by Albinario »

First and foremost, as Z said, we have no release date for vp4. We havent seen any screenshots, or even had hints of when it's gonna be released. Remember that VP3 Gold was announced to be released in 2007 and we saw several screenshots for it, yet we waited all through 2008 before we found out it wasnt gonna happen at all. Now I don't think the same thing will happen to VP4, but it's probably gonna be quite some time before it's released - I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least another year's wait. Thus letting go of the VP3 system now would be a bad idea.

Secondly, even if VP4 is released within 6 months or even less, should we let VP3 die before we move on to VP4? Wouldn't it be better to go out with a bang? Try to make as many people as possible play VP3 and let them see an active community with lots of tournaments so that they will get hooked and more interested in the release of VP4. Heck Celeris could even make the game free to get more people into it the last few months. I'm surprised you're so willing to let it wither and die without knowing anything about the release of VP4, Hugh, but perhaps you have some inside information - or perhaps you're more into ps3 pool now.

Also, as has been said, the world cup is on at the moment. There's always been talk of community decline and people not playing tournaments during the world cup. Both TD activity and player interest should pick up once it's over.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I know from the discussions of the VP4 tourney system that things are well on their way now,but my main gripe is the propping up of a present tourney system that many of you dont want to be part of,you simply dont play in them at all you included and thats not supporting it...its one thing to talk about keeping it its another to get you and your cronies involved instead of sitting in the lobby and not...which you and many have done for quite a while...dont think i dont notice these things.Your asking me and others lo throw money at it again for the coming year?iTS ABOUT TIME WE HAD CONTRIBUTIONS FROM ELSEWHERE IN THE LOBBY NOT THE SELECT FEW...after all its your tourney system you want to preserve.
Secondly, even if VP4 is released within 6 months or even less, should we let VP3 die before we move on to VP4? Wouldn't it be better to go out with a bang? Try to make as many people as possible play VP3 and let them see an active community with lots of tournaments so that they will get hooked and more interested in the release of VP4.
Now thats a nice thought,all these people going to come out the woodwork and play in all these tourneys and all join in and be one happy family...i think not,theyve had nigh on 10 years to get involved and its not going to happen now.VP3 will not die it will remain on gsa and there will be the same numbers playing it cos those ones wil not pay for vp4 and good riddance to them.

Initially players played in tourneys and now because you and select others win them all youve scared em all away maybe...i dont know,but until theres somnething new then all ive said is i wont be contributing to the upkeep of this one,ive paid enough now its someone elses turn...all i ALSO SAID WAS KEEP YOUR MONEY FOR VP4 if thats a boycott for the tourney system then fine LOL.
niksana951
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by niksana951 »

Why don't any TD host tourneys now? World Cup finished month ago and Vp4 ain't even close being released. Any excuse? :pics: If not go fking host! :knob:
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

lol.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

zwylle wrote:.. I don't mind spending money to keep the tourney system up as long as there is anyone left who is willing to host.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

No interest= no players= no tourneys and no tds who want to waste their time any more until the so called players and multitudes have got themselves organised and approach a TD with enough people that will happily play in said tourney.(well at least thats the way im running mine from now on)
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

:bs:

Post by AlinVille »

I stopped playing vp3 when 9bwc was canceled - about the most clear sign that the game is dead.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

I quit playing tournaments when they quit hosting them.