Online Play Next Gen

Play online, have fun, make friends. Discuss playing VP3DL online plus how to get started playing, setup that firewall, and use GameSpy Arcade.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online Play Next Gen

Post by 9balldotcom »

I know that I might just be raising concerns that in the end will all work out as the most important issue to Virtual Pools long slow demise will finally be addressed.

Will Celeris realise that the router/ports issue must be taken care of and Id have thought must be one of the priorities in making life for the NEW members that happen to come across Virtual Pool a lot simpler.(Thereby making people like Polomint redundant as far as sorting peoples routers out for them....Im sure he wont complain)

Remember that someone like me who only has a PC and that 99 percent of any other games hes installed on his pc dont have port issues,they all install fine.
Get this right straight away and your problems diminish a hundred fold as soon as you launch a NEXT GEN game.
Get it wrong....well we wont go there...... :fart:
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Re: Online Play Next Gen

Post by polomint77 »

Redundant !??!?!?!?!?!?? I WAN'T MY SEVERANCE PAY FIRST !!! :bootyshake:
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

VP4 should be one of the best as far as connecting compared to other turn based games. Turn based games typically use peer to peer, VP3 does now. To connect properly you have to have another 3rd party server punch throught NAT and firewall issues. VP3 does not and that is why connectivity is poor. But even with a punch through server, there can be problems with connectivity, symmetric firewall being the bad case.

VP4 gets around all this by having a dedicated server to run the game. Basically the same setup like the online shooters. This gets around most connectivity issues, the only one left is closed ports which typically does not occur except in some corporate situations.

Sorry about all the geek talk, the bottom like is yes you will be able to connect.

I'm doing my part for new users. The rest of you guys need to do yours by being friendly and not scaring off the newbies.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

vpeer wrote: VP4 gets around all this by having a dedicated server to run the game. Basically the same setup like the online shooters. This gets around most connectivity issues, the only one left is closed ports which typically does not occur except in some corporate situations.
So does this mean that VP4 will automatically add exceptions to windows firewall and/or use upnp to open the ports. Which ports would you say that VP4 is going to use? Are those ports automatically opened? Also, if upnp is used, bear in mind that most routers nowadays have that turned off by default due to upnp being a security risk.
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

The geek talk is way over most peoples head that play VP3 or have tried to play.(Im so glad Im thick and represent the average numpty virtual Pool punter here)

As long as the game starts and you dont have to mess with ports in a router I and many others will be happy....a simple firewall issue we can deal with...I just hope that those(and Im pretty sure there were many) effected by the issues of vp3 arent so to speak thinking fingers got burnt once...never again.

On one of the examples Steve mentioned about the way most online shooters work...you click to join the online game play and then you simply browse for games ie the type of game you want to play and you filter the search etc.etc.

What interest me is if gamespy is dropped so to speak..is.

Could you perhaps explain the limitations of a Celeris server as opposed to gamespy in terms of how many people could join and watch a game,would it be the choice of those who set the room up,again having played alot of online shooters,there are some games where you can set the game to have a maximum of 100 people online in the game to as little as just two people.Would it then be possible to have two people playing and say 50 people watching.Ive played online shooters where graphically they demand a heck of alot more than Virtual Pool ever will and with alot of people in the game they run sweet.Again being no techno geek Id assume that down to the quality of the server and the connections of others.

On the same point to avoid lag in game this is why on shooters and other online games the server kicks you if your ping is too high,can we have more details of the sort of layout that might be,when the time comes....but can we have the game first please \:D/
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

uPNP was a terrible idea and should not be used because of security risks.
VP4 does not need to open ports in the sense that VP3 did. The Windows firewall can be setup on install to allow VP4 to use the ports it needs or Windows will ask the user. The issue is really with incoming connections which VP4 does not do.

As far as how many people can watch a match there is not really a limit. Though is only using a single server most likely the number would not be more than a few thousand.

Lag is not really an issue, so neither is ping. Unlike VP3 where one really bad lagging connection will slow down all play, VP4 will play the same speed regardless of any slower connections in the game.

Players still might get kicked if their connection is really poor, still have not worked out that bit yet. But if things get bad enough on a connection I think it will have to be terminated. But "bad" means a lot of communication retries, not too much lag.
Miklad
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Miklad »

As one of the newbies from earlier in the year who DID have their fingers burned by the utter complexity of actually playing the game online, I sincerely do hope the problems get addressed.

I for one, would dearly love to play this game online and be part of the friendly community!

I actually managed to get online for three days (thanks hugely to Polomint and 9balldotcom), then my BT router updated itself and knocked my connection setting. I basically didn't have the heart to get one of the guys to sort me out AGAIN...

By the way - is VP4 on it's way then?

Regards

Miklad (You may remember me - I aint forgotten you lot!) :)
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Miklad come talk to me in the lobby ill sort you out nps