Snooker Championship settings

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snooker Championship settings

Post by 9balldotcom »

I think that most snooker players amongst us would generally agree that championship setting for snooker has changed significantly since the last patch came out.
If i remember rightly the cushion physics have been changed and the cloth adjusted as well.

In the end after many games on this last patch we have all came to the conclusion that its a lot easier to pot a ball in the corner pockets.

What Ive tried to illustrate above crude as it may be is more along the lines of championship setting or rather how it should look like.

I wonder how many of you agree?
Perhaps the Championship settings for Snooker should be entirely different as opposed to how it is on a pool table.After all all you have in vp3 is on oversized pool table and not a snooker table physically.The only way it resembles a snooker table is the scale compared to the pool tables,apart from that although it has more rounded pockets,the main problem is the overall cushion cut to corner pockets as you can see.The pocket absorbes a ball too much,so much so that a poorly aimed shot is somewhat gathered into the pocket.

Is there a fix for this?? and can you look at either adjusting the custom settings to make them more severe or fix the pockets on the Loch.
Last edited by 9balldotcom on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

I fully agree with Hugh.
But not only Snooker tables - I´ve said it before, Pool tables should be adjusted, too, the way it is now has nothing to do with what I´d call a "championship" table.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

Forgiving pockets

Post by Apollon »

You got my vote on the subject as well - since 3225 patch Loch pockets are waaaay too forgiving, much like Garage or Beach House
I think it was done in an effort to fix a problem with the Loch corner pockets when no rail ball, hit with considerable pace, no matter how accurate the shot is, would go in, in the previous versions - which is not realistic, it was a problem. Celeris also mentioned in the Changelog that rail model for snooker was changed, and its different from 9 ball now.
I think they fixed it by making the pockets generally more forgiving - which is a bad way to go about it. Pacey rail shots should go in, if accurate, but yet - pockets should not be lose. At the risk of repeating myself - this turned Loch into Garage table, and now every somewhat decent player who had 70-80 as his highest break, can hit a century any time, which is frustrating - century used to be special...
Snooker @ Loch, with Champ settings used to be the game, to separate the boys from the men - it aint so anymore, we want it back!
*You'll never get a second chance to make a good first impression

*War doesn't determine who is right, but who is left...

*There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

You're the man.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I can look at changing this. The pocket size has not changed but some of the physics changes may have made them easier.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I have tweaked this a little. You guys will have to tell me if it is better, worse or the same.

The earliest this modification will be available is beta patch testing for version 3233.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Re: Snooker Championship settings

Post by Hanterp »

To be clear, we are talking about VP3 overhere. At first I was in shock, reading all of this, as I did not notice the dates of the post. I was thinking people talked about VP 4 and I strongly disagreed #-o
Playing for weeks now and my high break is still 36 in hustler-mode ( setting normal ).
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Hard to believe that my original post was 6 years ago,but clearly as evidence has shown Steve has listened and now Snooker is on a proper table and as tough as hell.
Pockets are very unforgiving and we are agreed perhaps a little too unforgiving.
I still think that once those things are ironed out that VP4 will merit its title as STILL the best Pool and billiard sim out there. :strokeit:
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Apollon »

Hugh I did most of the VP4 Snooker testing - physics, game rules, pocket tightness, table speed, pocket cuts, etc' - corner pockets are actually too forgiving and we have photographic evidence of that in the bug tracker in the form of re-playable save games. According to Steve this cannot be fixed due to limitations in the current physics model and would require re-writing physics engine nearly from scratch which is of course not feasible due to complexity and time constraints.

If you have complaints/concerns/fears/irritations or any other types of anxiety about VP4 Snooker - you can talk to me.

As far as pockets being unforgiving - I havent had a century yet, but I've made like half a dozen 80s and a couple of 90 breaks, including a 99. Hitting 40s and 50s pretty consistently, so if people are having difficulties I think it's more their skill level at fault, rather than the game.

*There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Pockets in VP4 too forgiving?? I would love to see the evidence of that. I have seen a lot of TV matches for snooker on Eurosport and there were some shots where the object-ball hitted the cushion first, then one of the jaws and still went in. That is completely impossible in VP4.
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Apollon »

Actually, the situation you described is very much possible in VP4, and that's exactly the pocket looseness problem I was referring to. If this forum has file attachment option I'd attach some save games for you to see, where the ball hits a rail first and then still goes into the pocket, which is wrong.
I don't know what TV games are you watching, but VP4's Tournament table type is modeled after highest pro competition Riley Aristocrat tables, used at the Snooker World Championship in Sheffield, In UK Championship, Irish Masters and other major tournaments. On these tables a ball which hits the rail first 2 inches or more away from the pocket will never go in.
I think corner pocket's are at about 95% where they need to be, comparing to the real table and the remaining 5% cannot be achieved with the current physics model. Middle pockets have an issue where balls, potted from sharp angles would not stay in if you hit them with medium pace, even if the shot is spot on. This works fine on real table.

Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Eurosport brings the big tournaments, like the Chinese open and the World Championship, amongst other tournaments.
In those tournaments I am sure I did see this happen some times. That means VP4 has no looseness problem. On the contrary.
The tables used are of course real tournament tables, although I am not sure of the brand.