1 Bug and 1 Complaint

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

sharkey9
VWSC 2007

1 Bug and 1 Complaint

Post by sharkey9 »

The Bug:
After playing some racks and frames in quickplay, AI players are now stuck on their points. They neither gain nor lose any points anymore.

The complaint:
I'd like to have the cuetip centered with each shot again as it was in all former versions of VP. Or as an option at least.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: 1 Bug and 1 Complaint

Post by zwylle »

Haha.. shows you are German. Anyone else would ask for it as a feature instead of complaining ;-)

Where are the COs stuck, do you have examples?

Post by sharkey9 »

Well the guy I played few games is stuck at 1700 something, any new opponent I choose stays at his initial score.

The cuetip issue forces me to change my playing style. It takes away my play-by-feel attitude. I always played draw and follow just by feel without even thinking about it.
Now I have to aim off, center the tip and then add draw or follow and aim again. That's quite disturbing.
And with my sore eyes I can't really be sure if it's centered or not...
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

I don't get that you need to center the tip.
If it's off center that should be marginal.
Or are you talking about the new standard distance aiming?
What's your setting in Settings -> Camera -> Aiming?
If it's anything other than Last Distance, try that.
Hustler

Post by ingmu »

I think it's about consistency.

Some people were used to adjust English from the 0-English center point of cue ball in VP.
Especially on draw shot, it required more control between English and power.
Judging English by "moving how much distance away from the center point" is easier than "striking how low exactly on cue ball."

I even played 0-English restricted 9b with friends, very challenging to your position, orders, and power control.
I'd like to have it back too but it's ok if not, just have to do more practice on that.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Make sure you got that Pivot English off as that really messes with your game altogether and i believe its on by default when you first install the game.
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

No nothing camera related just the way the game handles the cue tip position when your cue is anything but flat parallel with the table bed.

When the cueball is anywhere near a ball or a rail the game lifts the cue and thus adds follow. It just raised the butt in old versions.
So, for example, to play a stun shot out of one of these positions I need to press E and adjust my desired cue tip position first. But because those other balls or the rails are in my line of sight, I can not see what english I'm applying so I need to rotate anywhere else, adjust english and aim back. Then I can shoot.
I did not need to do that in old versions because the tip was always centered. I could apply any english/draw/follow I wanted "blind".

If I wanted to play a tad of draw I just had to press E, pull my mouse back a bit and shoot.
If I do that now I might end up with a follow through instead of a draw or stun because the tip is way ABOVE centre pre-shot.
That takes a lot of flow out of my game.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

9balldotcom wrote:Make sure you got that Pivot English off as that really messes with your game altogether and i believe its on by default when you first install the game.
Pivot is off. Made me dizzy.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

sharkey9 wrote:
9balldotcom wrote:Make sure you got that Pivot English off as that really messes with your game altogether and i believe its on by default when you first install the game.
Pivot is off. Made me dizzy.
Pivot is one of the best improvements over vp3 k
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Yup so is chopping your head off to cure a headache k :bootyshake: :bs:
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

sharkey9 wrote:When the cueball is anywhere near a ball or a rail the game lifts the cue and thus adds follow. It just raised the butt in old versions.
..If I wanted to play a tad of draw I just had to press E, pull my mouse back a bit and shoot.
If I do that now I might end up with a follow through instead of a draw or stun because the tip is way ABOVE centre pre-shot.
That takes a lot of flow out of my game.
I believe the main reason the cuetip was lifted when you have to shoot from the rail is to make the chin on cue option work and make it feel more realistic.
IMHO stun or draw from that position is still much tougher IRL than in VP, and of course you can't apply it there either without looking at it.
IRL you would want to avoid position close to the rail. Why not in VP?

Post by sharkey9 »

zwylle wrote: I believe the main reason the cuetip was lifted when you have to shoot from the rail is to make the chin on cue option work and make it feel more realistic.
IMHO stun or draw from that position is still much tougher IRL than in VP, and of course you can't apply it there either without looking at it.
IRL you would want to avoid position close to the rail. Why not in VP?
Good points...but on the other hand you can not keep your chin on the cue in many of those shots IRL. Not being a giant that is.
All I mean is that it just feels uncomfortable to me and I would like an option to turn that automatic lift feature off.
Fluke[FIN] wrote: Pivot is one of the best improvements over vp3 k
I'm glad Pivot is just an option. It may help with side english but has nothing to do with real life play. It's kind of an aiming help. Like lines. Or Ghostball. A cheat!
And what version is vp3k? Korean? Did I miss that?
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

sharkey9 wrote: I'm glad Pivot is just an option. It may help with side english but has nothing to do with real life play. It's kind of an aiming help. Like lines. Or Ghostball. A cheat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3ai0SM1aw

Pivot english, also known as back hand english, is a way to apply english with less deflection. In real life play to be exact and commonly used k
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

Fluke[FIN] wrote: Pivot english, also known as back hand english, is a way to apply english with less deflection. In real life play to be exact and commonly used k
Aah ok. Back hand english, I see.
I never use that technique maybe that's why it's making me dizzy in VP4 and feels unnatural.
However it does NOT apply less deflection, it's just another way of aiming.
And commonly used...well not in Snooker.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

sharkey9 wrote:
Fluke[FIN] wrote: Pivot english, also known as back hand english, is a way to apply english with less deflection. In real life play to be exact and commonly used k
Aah ok. Back hand english, I see.
I never use that technique maybe that's why it's making me dizzy in VP4 and feels unnatural.
However it does NOT apply less deflection, it's just another way of aiming.
And commonly used...well not in Snooker.
Well yes. The amount of actual deflection is the same as with ordinary way to apply english but the deflecetion gets compensated when the english is applied with back hand / cue not parallel. Agree on that its not commonly used in snooker. Anyways, kinda offtopic to your original post :) A key for cuetip position "reset" would be nice. In situations when you plan a shot and apply some english -> then change your plan and play a stun shot -> by pressing the key youll get cuetip centered.
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

Yeah that's a great idea!
A key! =D>
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

Big +1 for the option to keep cuetip centered... or a key to do that.
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

I see a problem with such a 'center tip' shortcut.
The thing is, when you are close to the rail or a ball, you could then aim with the cue as low as possible (therefore getting the 'best' cueball / object ball overlay ), and then simply hit the 'center tip position' key and be assured the ball will roll straight without any curving. That's sort of like aiming under the cue, and will likely produce a lot of slow rolling shots.
So I would prefer the tip either always centered. Then, if you want to aim best, you have to first move the tip as high as possible, aim, and then set the desired tip position. That's pretty much like you would on a real table for a real high cuebutt angle. But then (unless you temporarily disable horizontal mouse movements), the tip will most likely not be exactly at the center, making slow rolls pretty tough.
Or keep it like it is, but without a keyboard shortcut.

A key for switching between aim modes (pivot, parallel, none) would be nice though.
Last edited by deraltefritz on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Heres a question....what do you do In real life when your at the table to centre your cue tip on the cue ball...?? Do you press a certain button??

I rest my case k.bunch a noobs. :strokeit: :fart: :pottytrain5:
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

No I don't press a certain button IRL - but I can SEE where my tip is.
I can't in VP in certain situations.
With a centered tip I KNOW where it is without beeing able to see it.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

9balldotcom wrote:Heres a question....what do you do In real life when your at the table to centre your cue tip on the cue ball...?? Do you press a certain button??
I rest my case k.bunch a noobs. :strokeit: :fart: :pottytrain5:
=D> =D> =D>

@Sharkey: I'd recommend using the V-Key to look at things from a different perspective.
Or just try and play position a bit off the rail. As far as I know is the cuetip nicely centered then. (I wish that was the case IRL too)

Post by sharkey9 »

The need for altering the perspective was the reason why I complained. This takes away flow of my game.

Also, a bit off the rail is not enough. Say, 3 balls away from rail, cue is still lifted a bit.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean