Carom!?!?

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Carom!?!?

Post by mart »

I've had VP3 since it first came out... the Jeanette version on CD back in 2000(?) and then the curly DL version quite a few years ago. Because of VP3 I've always believed that a carom is when the cue ball hits the object ball and canons into another ball which I know because of one of my favourite games "Cowboy" (which the CO don';t know how to play dammit.... why is that steve??) whereby, after hitting 90 points you have to get 10 "caroms" to reach 100. However, VP4's Steve Daking refers to this as a "billiards" shot rather than a carom and a carom is infact (according to him) when the cueball hits the object ball and the object ball hits another ball and pots off that second ball!

So... what exactly is a carom? is it all of the above or was VP3 mistaken in referring to those last 10 shots in Cowboy as caroms, or is steve Daking mistaken in his version of what a carom is?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: Carom!?!?

Post by zwylle »

All of the above.
This is from the glossary in the VP4 Help file:

Carom Shot
1) A shot in billiards in which the cue ball strikes each of two object balls.
2) A shot in pool in which an object ball is strikes another object ball before falling
into a pocket.

Billiards Shot
A shot where the cue ball caroms off an object ball and into another object ball
knocking it into a pocket.
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Re: Carom!?!?

Post by mart »

zwylle wrote:All of the above.
This is from the glossary in the VP4 Help file:

Carom Shot
1) A shot in billiards in which the cue ball strikes each of two object balls.
2) A shot in pool in which an object ball is strikes another object ball before falling
into a pocket.

Billiards Shot
A shot where the cue ball caroms off an object ball and into another object ball
knocking it into a pocket.
Lol...thanks for clearing that up for me. I should've known I only needed to go to the help file! Duh :duh: