Virtual Pool 3 DL does not work

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Blackball75
Wannabe
Wannabe

Virtual Pool 3 DL does not work

Post by Blackball75 »

Hi,

I've already e-mailed Celeris about this but it seems as though they have run out of ideas. I just bought VP3 DL for my Windows 7 laptop.

The game installs fine but when I run it, nothing happens for a long time. I get a black screen sometimes, but sometimes nothing, and eventually get an error message that I need to be connected to the Internet to register the game. I am already online.

Anyway, the game doesn't work. I have already tried running it as an administrator and in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode. Same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it? Thanks.
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Re: Virtual Pool 3 DL does not work

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

Sounds weird. One thing you could check is that there is a log file in vp3 main folder called message.txt. Open that up with note/wordpad and see if theres something info about the start up of the game and what goes wrong. Could also check the GPU drivers.

And if you are familiar with registry editor you could mess around a little bit of those values (CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> CELERIS -> VIRTUAL POOL 3 DL -> CURRENT VERSION), there are some values you could try to change like Full Screen (set the value 1 to 0), Resolution (Full screen x and y), color bit depth. If youre not familiar with it ignore this advice, its easy to screw up the whole pc if not knowing exactly what doing.
Blackball75
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Blackball75 »

Thanks, Fluke.

I've tried installing the latest video drivers but the problem remains. The message text said nothing useful.

I've tried cleaning the registry and reinstalling the program but to no avail.

I can't change anything in the registry as the installed program only has 2 registry keys! (seems odd - the preview version had loads).

I'm very frustrated...
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

If there is only 2 keys in the registry the game is not even starting up. There is either a drive issue or some other application conflict causing problems. This could be an issue with input too. Try using a mouse and disable the touch pad and see if that works.
entigy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by entigy »

Having battled to get VP3DL working on Win7 64-bit, I've come to the conclusion that the problem is graphics card/graphics driver related, rather than OS related.

For instance, my two PCs at home both have an Nvidia GPU, one a GTS450 the other a GTX560ti. Both have the very latest drivers installed.
VP3DL will not even start up on either of these machines, not even to enter the serial code.

I installed XP Mode on the Win7 Ultimate machine, and that allowed the game to at least run. But the graphics were completely screwed up and made the game unplayable.
It was a similar outcome when I installed Windows XP on Virtualbox.
These virtual machines don't take advantage of a discreet GPU card, but neither do they seem to provide an adequate graphics subsystem to run the game properly.

So just out of curiosity, I installed VP3DL on my Sandybridge laptop, which also has Win7 Ultimate 64-bit but has the Intel HD3000 graphics.
Ran like a dream at 1366x768 (native resolution), with hardware acceleration enabled.
It was just like the good old days ! =P~

Now, I don't have any AMD Radeon graphics cards to test the game on, so I can't comment on that. But certainly I think that recent Nvidia cards/drivers may be overkill or just not compatible.

Anyway, just thought I'd chuck in my tenpence worth.... :blah5:
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

It is a little baffling. Others with NVidia cards have been able to run it but maybe there is an issue with video memory size or the drivers.