New Computer -- dont get new serial from Celeris

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

New Computer -- dont get new serial from Celeris

Post by BlackJagged »

I tried getting VP to work on my new computer. Everything seemed to work fine, I got to the point where I get the message that my old serial is ok and that I will be sended a new one by mail. But no mail came. I then mailed support at celeris, explaining the problem and including the old mail from them including the first serial, and asking them to look into the problem. No answer. If anyone from Celeris should actually read this forum: Can you please take care of this problem and send me a new serial?
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Computer -- dont get new serial from Celeris

Post by 9balldotcom »

BJ send a copy of your email to me and ill forward it to Brenda Chaplin as i think she now deals with this sort of thing.

mail me here hhwgollogly@hotmail.com
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Thanks a bunch for your offer, Hugh, but I finally got the mail with the serial today.

...however, there is another problem now, and perhaps you have a clue: Video Mode only offers me a resolution of 640x480x32...I tried several compatibility-modes, but that didnt help. Im currently using a Win 7 64 bit installation with an Nvidia graphic card. Do you have any idea from the top of your head how I can get to a better resolution? I vaguely remember that it was possible to get a real menue bar on the top of the VP screen where you had more options, but I cant remember how to produce it.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

Play in window mode and maximize the size of your window. You'll get good resolution, plus smooth taskswitching.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Albinario wrote:Play in window mode and maximize the size of your window. You'll get good resolution, plus smooth taskswitching.

darn...tried that but it wont let me resize the window.

And now I realize the VP symbol on my desktop has a little blue-yellowish shield symbol added to it, which probably means that windows 7 doesnt like this software at all.

Sigh. Really, Im not a total computer idiot, but over the past 12 years VP has made me feel like one so many times.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

.however, there is another problem now, and perhaps you have a clue: Video Mode only offers me a resolution of 640x480x32...I tried several compatibility-modes, but that didnt help. Im currently using a Win 7 64 bit installation with an Nvidia graphic card. Do you have any idea from the top of your head how I can get to a better resolution? I vaguely remember that it was possible to get a real menue bar on the top of the VP screen where you had more options, but I cant remember how to produce it

Im not sure what you mean in the last part of your statement there.

I got win 7 64 bit and theres no real problems with it and vp3....the problem is that we two possibly dont have similar monitors....mine is widescreen and my desktop resolution is 1600x1200and thats what resolution vp3 is set at.

So the first and most important thing to do is look at your nvidia cards software and configuration programme and go to resolution and check what the default resolution its set at(it will normally set itself to your default and recommended resolution compatable with your monitor).

One thing i strongly suggest is that you have VP3 set at the same resolution as your desktop and check that your balls in vp3 are round and not eliptical.

Always have vp3 at your default desktop setting and dont change it to something different from your monitors default setting as this can cause issues with the game running and thats a fact.

Also what Albinario suggested is the most stable setting for vp3 and thats desktop mode although your issue about not being able to drag out the edges to fill the screens got me puzzled.

If your still getting problems get back here and let us know.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Might be an issue with the video driver.
You can find one for your card here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?

The little blue and yellowish shield is normal, shouldn't prevent the game from playing.
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Thanks for ongoing help, guys.
Ok, so here I am atm:

---Video driver for my NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 is the most recent one. (...and I wont start experimenting with older drivers cause I need this system also for work and cant afford instabilities.)

---Screen is set at its native resolution, 1680x1050 in my case.

---Ive tried it with deactivating Aero and all sorts of other advanced graphic stettings. Doesnt help.

9balldotcom wrote:[quote
One thing i strongly suggest is that you have VP3 set at the same resolution as your desktop and check that your balls in vp3 are round and not eliptical.
In window mode VP comes up with the right resolution...only that I cant drag out the edges and enlarge the window.

Perhaps some screenshots make it all clearer:

When I start in desktop mode, VP opens correct:

Unfortunately I cant make a screenshot of it, but when I try to drag the bottom-right edge, the VP screen gets black, the edges seem to enlarge, however in a very flickering way, and as soon as I release the mouse its all back at the small start size.

Settings in window mode:

Settings when I set VP to run in full-screen:

And here is the little shield by the VP program symbol that I mentioned:

...by now I think it means that this program needs admin rights -- but regarding my problem it makes no differences whether or not I run it with admin rights.

I get a creepy feeling that the entire problem is based on something totally trite and small that I just cant think of atm and Ill be totally embarrassed once I find it out. People: Id appreciate to be embarrassed by whoever gives me the decisive clue! ;)
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

You haven't made any changes whatsoever to your computer except only adding a new serial?

Try this... go to Settings - Graphics and turn Hardware Acceleration on. Then restart VP3 and see if anything changes under Video Mode.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

AlinVille wrote:You haven't made any changes whatsoever to your computer except only adding a new serial?

Try this... go to Settings - Graphics and turn Hardware Acceleration on. Then restart VP3 and see if anything changes under Video Mode.
Well, no changes, so to speak---but its an entirely new computer.

I forgot to mention that I already tried hardware acceleration on and off in both desktop window and full size. Makes no difference.
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

Very strange. Well you could try one last thing, no idea if it works though. Go to Registry (regedit) and search for CVP3, that will direct you to the serial of VP3. Handy trick for those that don't have it saved anywhere.

Anyway on the right you will see Full Screen X and Full Screen Y, double-click those, choose Decimal and type in your own values, 1680 respectively 1050. Not a good solution but I'm curious if this works.

vpeer could address your issue... haven't seen it before.
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Have you actually installed the latest graphics drivers yourself. or have u let the windows 7 install do it?
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

AlinVille wrote: Go to Registry (regedit) and search for CVP3, that will direct you to the serial of VP3.

Anyway on the right you will see Full Screen X and Full Screen Y, double-click those, choose Decimal and type in your own values, 1680 respectively 1050. Not a good solution but I'm curious if this works.
Ah, thats something I had not thought of; interesting suggestion! I will try that unless I get a less problematic idea before I build up the nerve editing the registry.

Darkhorse: the graphic drivers are those that came with a fresh OS installation, but I checked whether there is any newer version, which is not the case.
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

have you installed direct x 9.0c, you will need some of the old files in that which are not included in direct x 10/11.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Freeball wrote:have you installed direct x 9.0c, you will need some of the old files in that which are not included in direct x 10/11.
Oh manure. No, I have not installed DX 9....can I do that without it somehow compromising my version 11?

I wonder: Since Hugh seems to be on about the same system that Im on: Have you installed DX 9?
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

I researched the option of additionally installing direct x 9.0c, and apparently some guys made very bad experiences with that, up to the point of having to completely reinstall the OS. I cant risk that with some threatening deadlines ahead of me.

AlinVille: I tried your advice and changed the resolution in the registry, but since the values there were already higher than what Im getting I had not much hope -- and indeed: didnt help.

Well...I guess I'll just wait for VP 4. Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I think that Ron (Freeball) suggested to me to install directx 9 when i was setting up vp3 on this new computer and i did so.

I installed it and theres no problem and id suggest that theres an extremely slim likelyhood of it messing up the pc.

Have you tried testing the programme compatability also like for win vista or for win 98 etc?

I do feel that you do need to have direct x 9 installed also....cos thats whats possibly the issue.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

BlackJagged wrote:Thanks for ongoing help, guys.
---Video driver for my NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 is the most recent one. (...and I wont start experimenting with older drivers cause I need this system also for work and cant afford instabilities.)
It very much sounds like a driver issue.
I suppose your driver is version 266.58 - released on January 18th?
That's the one they have as latest WHQL certified driver on the Nvidia site.
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

1. I'd give DirectX 9.0c a go, personally.
2. Hardware Acceleration should be enabled.
3. Ensure ALL the check boxes under the desktop shortcut's Properties' Compatibility tab are unchecked (note there's a 640x480 option there).
4. I've no shield and I am running VP3 on Windows 7 at a high resolution.
5. If all else fails, uninstall, delete Celeris folder under Program Files (x86), delete Celeris registry folder (once you have safely stored your serial elsewhere), reboot and reinstall, bearing in mind (1), (2) & (3) above.

Bagpuss
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Hugh and Bagpuss: yes, Ive tried everything you mention, apart from intalling DX9...tried all compatibility modes, and did several uninstalls, re-installs of VP. I even tried installing the ancient old version 3217.

Zwylle: slightly odd, the driver version I saw under system-control-system-hardware was totally different from the one you mention, and it was released at 8/2010. Still, when I clicked at "look for never version on the net" windows told me that the current driver is the most recent. I went to the Nvidia site and manually got me 266.58 --- good thing after install: no damage done, everything still works fine. Bad thing: the VP problem persists.

So I guess it all narrows down to try installing DirectX 9...Ill take the risk after Ive reached the deadline of my current work project.
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

Note my point on the compatibility thing was make sure you uncheck ALL the boxes on the Compatibility tab after you had tried all the modes/settings as VP3 doesn't need to run in compatibility mode in Windows 7.

It would help if someone from Celeris explained how exactly VP3 determines which resolutions to show in the drop-down list, as that would help diagnose the issue.

Bagpuss
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

Bagpuss wrote:Note my point on the compatibility thing was make sure you uncheck ALL the boxes on the Compatibility tab after you had tried all the modes/settings as VP3 doesn't need to run in compatibility mode in Windows 7.
Yes, Id done that...and indeed the box that defines the resolution *was* checked at some point. But Id unchecked it.

Bagpuss wrote:It would help if someone from Celeris explained how exactly VP3 determines which resolutions to show in the drop-down list, as that would help diagnose the issue.
Actually youre right. Probably not a very promissing path to take, but I will ask Celeris support, too.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

hey....I got a lot of well meant advice in this thread which Im thankful for, so I think its appropriate to put a final remark here:

After everything else failed, I finally went to the last possible solution for my problem: I installed the old 9x version of DX. It didnt help.

For two weeks I just gave up on it, but a couple of minutes ago the addiction hit me again and I thought: F**** IT! I play some pool even in a tiny little window or in a full window with a resolution so crappy that everything looks like a saw blade. But I couldnt. GameSpy told me my VP is not correctly installed or the path is not right. But VP *is* correctly installed. The path that GS displays *is* correct.

What I want to say at this point, is: Im playing this game for some seven or eight years now. For the past four years I got a total crash and had to reboot each time I left a room and I spent a few dozen hours trying to identify and fix that problem and it was not possible. What fixed the problem eventually was a rooter firmware update....no way any ordinary mortal could have identified the rooter firmware as the source to this problem. After these unhappy four years I spent some happy three month of playing GS/VP without problems. Then I bought me a new computer and got the recent problems.

I dont tend to be offensive, but, hey, now Im in the mood to be offensive:****************, Celeris!!!! *********** GameSpy!!! Im not going to even try any longer to deal with this CRAP from the last century that is trying to survive in 2011 on modern OSs. Im done with this UTTER CRAP. What is really saddening me is loosing the contact to some people here that I was playing and talking to for many years and some of whom feel like friends to me. But its just not doable any longer: If I spent another split minute trying to solve the problems this shitfaced couple of softwares from hell, VP and GS, is causing me my head will explode.

I hope to meet some of you again at some other billards simulation game on the net. I will start to look for an alternative right now.

AdminOffensive language will be edited and deleted
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Well.... id bet a pound to a pinch of salt its still a gfx driver issue.
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

GameSpy told me my VP is not correctly installed or the path is not right.

That tells me it is not a driver issue and that its a proper full clean installation again thats required and that will solve the issue.

Get teamviewer installed and let me look at it and it saves all this messing around and tantrums.....im an expert in these matters.

Just tell me what night or day you can be in the vp3 lobby and ill get it working one way or another and it would also be handy if you had teamspeak installed orskype and that way i can talk to you and tell you what a numpty you are at the same time.... :bs: :bootyshake: :pottytrain5:

Its got nothing to do with Celeris in this case...its a simple case of working around issues and problems that we have with getting vp3 running and bearing in mind that most issues we have all fixed at worked out ourselves....moaning and bawling at Celeris doesnt help the situation.

We will deal with the issue calmly and positively and bearing in mind ive already got people up and running with similar issues,i feel confident I could sort it out....theres a few in the lobby could also offer help....but unless you get yourself in there....and ask,then your situation wont change.......so just tell me when and what time.