Why no use of Handicap Function?

General tournament news, announcements, ideas and suggestions.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, zwylle

OnePocketSlim
Bouncer
Bouncer

Why no use of Handicap Function?

Post by OnePocketSlim »

Is there such a function in Vp3? I was told there was. Has it been tried before and it failed? What was the problem? I'm not suggesting every tourney needs handicapping, but I would think more players would participate in tournaments if they had a legit shot at being competitive. It would create action and offer a bit of an unknown into the equation - an exciting X factor.

Vp3 is a small community but I see a lot of players on the sidelines when a tournament comes along. I can only imagine they think, "Why bother?". I personally do not enjoy slaughtering a weaker player. Handicapping not only makes a weaker player more competitive, but it would also help improve my game.

Again, I'm fairly new here, and not well versed in the long and jagged history of Vp3. It's just a thought until the glorious coming of Vp4; which I understand will make use of a handicapping function.

Cordially,
John
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why no use of Handicap Function?

Post by 9balldotcom »

Its not used simply because its down to the Td to set someones handicap....and its that issue alone that will upset people and its why i dont use it.
OnePocketSlim
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by OnePocketSlim »

I suppose... more bickering and moaning than usual. And another headache for Td's to deal with. "So and so is handicapped wrong..ect ect". :protest: :protest: :protest:

In Vp4 I trust.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

That would be fun.. set everyone's handicap and then play in my own tourney.. and win it :bootyshake:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

As far as im aware the same scenario will be available on vp4 tourneys..............handicap tourneys would be even more difficult for a Td on there as the volume of human traffic in tourneys got heavy and you didnt know how capable someone was at the game.

It would end up in even bigger fights....
OnePocketSlim
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by OnePocketSlim »

Hmm...I just hope new players won't get discouraged or scared off. Maybe something like A, B, and C player tourneys along with open class. Separate the players into levels...seems I remember Steve saying something about that for Vp4. I mean, real life leagues run just fine with handicaps and what not. I don't see a problem implementing it online.

With Vp4 having a new platform, more social elements, added tourney/ladder features, more people, and a more rigid admin structure, the current mindset will definitely have to change. Vp4 won't be our own little personal play ground anymore. What can I say...I love this game and have high hopes! [-o<

This is Steve's game and I thank him for launching a new version. Ultimately, Vp4 is Steve's baby and responsibility, but I hope that current players and Td's realize they can help make the Vp4 community strong and the game itself a resounding success.

If the masses can't enjoy Virtual Pool or don't have a good experience, it will end up just like the Vp3 lobby is now - a handful of people in it, We can play the greatest pool simulation there is, but if we don't have a healthy community, we got nothing.

Cheers,
:walk:
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Pretty much anyone can become a TD, why not apply?
You could make the (vp3 or vp4) world a better place and host handicap tournaments.

Personally I won't do it, because I like to play in the tournaments I host.

VP3 is a 10+ year old game. I don't know of any other games that old that still have a community.
This community is part of why VP4 is possible.
And of course we all hope it will be successful.

Post by LarryL »

You can't run just a single subjectively handicapped tournament. Proper handicaps come from objective performance. You would have to have for instance a weekly tournament
where wins and losses would be recorded. As a players wins would out weight his losses their handicap number would increase, or decrease if they reached a certain number of more losses
than wins. In my real life pool career I played in a weekly handicap tournament and these were the rules, if I remember correctly. The game was 9 ball, double elimination.
The handicap ranged from 1 to 9, low numbers for weak players and of course high numbers for strong players. Each player would race to their handicap number. If a 6 played a 5, then
he would have to win 6 games before the other player won 5. As a players wins versus losses number would reach + or - 5 their handicap would increase or decrease by one and their wins versus
loss number would go back to 0. All new players to the tournament would start with an average handicap of 5. IMHO this was the best way to handicap tournaments IRL. But of course
with VP4 having its own server, complete stats can be kept for all of a players online play and should result in players having more accurate handicaps.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Now thats exactly why i didnt do any handicap tourneys...

Its simpler having numpty tourneys where a person needs to be below a certain rating number in order to enter.Likewise you can have higher rated tourneys only where if your below a certain rating you cant play.

On VP4 if theres ever an automatic way of setting someones handicap thats fine...but even with stats,it shouldnt be up to a TD to set handicaps.
It will always end up in fights.