[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Celeris Forums • View topic - Lack of tournaments

Lack of tournaments

General tournament news, announcements, ideas and suggestions.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, zwylle

Lack of tournaments

Postby 9balldotcom » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Due to the lack of tournaments recently a few of the lobby members( very few) have voiced that its not good not to have tourneys.

What I want to know is this

Why then when tourneys have been available,theres a distinct lack of interest to play in them?
Why should Tds waste their time like they have been these past couple of months when people arent interested or what interest there is isnt enough to make it worth while doing a tourney.

I personally have tried to offer something slightly different and farer by doing the league night,thats quickly died as there its become a struggle to get 8 people interested.
Shaz and Polomint have cancelled tourney after tourney from lack of interest.

Now why is this?

Do the potential players not like the Tds,would you rather have your "OWN" TDS?
Dont you like what tourneys are on offer?

The ball is in YOUR court YOU the players need to say what the problem is,or isnt there one?
Unless you people can get together and come up with a suggestion or an answer then the present situation isnt likely to change.

Maybe we are all fed up and need something new like VP4?Maybe we are all waiting to see what happens.

So all of you people that want tourneys...YOU TELL US WHAT THE PROBLEM IS if there is one and you tell us why you cant muster up enough of your friends and buddies to join in the tourneys.

The active Tds we have at present dont want to waste their time arranging tourneys and setting aside their time night after night only to have it all wasted cos none of you can be bothered,so I have to assume theres some sort of a problem somewhere along the line.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lack of tournaments

Postby zwylle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:55 pm

I see that there is not much interest now, but not offering anything won't make it better, rather worse.
Why don't you go back to running just a couple of tourneys a week that are scheduled?
Saturday and Sunday we usually get enough players for at least the popular games, 9 ball, snooker, 8 ball.
When those pick up again, maybe add some during the week.

I appreciate you tried the league night, but people who dont have a chance winning get frustrated with it and wont join to get their butt kicked for 3 hours straight.

Also I believe a big event like v9bwc would get more people to play in regular tourneys to get tourney practive.
When that one was cancelled everything else shut down.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby 9balldotcom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 am

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zwylle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 am

Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby AlinVille » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 am

AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Postby 9balldotcom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:36 am

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nugget » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:41 am

The money that is contributed is used to cover the hosting costs not for adding new features.
However, I did spend a couple of days implementing the contributory membership feature to say thank you for those that did contribute...how many other people of spent a couple days solid working on a website for vp3? And all you can do is evil witch back and urge people not to contribute.

At present I work on software development all day and don't have the energy left to work on developing a new tournament system in the evening as well. I am continuously thinking about what I'd like to do if I did do a new tournament system, but like I say my days are already spent developing software.

At some point I will write up my ideas. I think there is room for more than one tournament system.
Tournament Website: http://www.vphqtournaments.com
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Postby 9balldotcom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 am

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zwylle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 am

You make it sound like you have to take out a second mortgage in order to support the tourney system.
If that's true, you probably really rather save your money...

Nugget deserves to be treated with a lot more respect.
So far nobody has seen the VP4 tourney system.
It will probably we good, but the system we are using and were relying on for many years is the one Nugget developed.
He spent countless hours working on it. Anyone who has a remote idea about software development knows that creating something like this 'for free' takes a lot of dedication.
Even with a few features broken it is stil absolutely usable, if we only had TDs who would use it.

Bashing the system and Nugget, basically calling up for a boycott is not what I would expect you to do.
You used to be one of the biggest supporters and one of those with the most benefits.
Who would even care about what you say if you hadn't hosted hundreds of tournaments on the system Nugget created?
Now suddenly, when VP4 seems to happen this is all trash?

And you have to 'warn' people not to support it?
Wait at least until we have a release date for VP4.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby 9balldotcom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 am

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zwylle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Nugget got never paid for his work.
Whatever money people donated was for the hosting service.
Don't confuse that with him getting paid.
His work was 'for free'.

Yes, I decided to defend him, and yes I'll continue pointing out that there are no tourneys if there are none and I'd like to play in some.
And no, I don't mind spending money to keep the tourney system up as long as there is anyone left who is willing to host.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby Albinario » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 am

First and foremost, as Z said, we have no release date for vp4. We havent seen any screenshots, or even had hints of when it's gonna be released. Remember that VP3 Gold was announced to be released in 2007 and we saw several screenshots for it, yet we waited all through 2008 before we found out it wasnt gonna happen at all. Now I don't think the same thing will happen to VP4, but it's probably gonna be quite some time before it's released - I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least another year's wait. Thus letting go of the VP3 system now would be a bad idea.

Secondly, even if VP4 is released within 6 months or even less, should we let VP3 die before we move on to VP4? Wouldn't it be better to go out with a bang? Try to make as many people as possible play VP3 and let them see an active community with lots of tournaments so that they will get hooked and more interested in the release of VP4. Heck Celeris could even make the game free to get more people into it the last few months. I'm surprised you're so willing to let it wither and die without knowing anything about the release of VP4, Hugh, but perhaps you have some inside information - or perhaps you're more into ps3 pool now.

Also, as has been said, the world cup is on at the moment. There's always been talk of community decline and people not playing tournaments during the world cup. Both TD activity and player interest should pick up once it's over.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Postby 9balldotcom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:01 am

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby niksana951 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 am

Why don't any TD host tourneys now? World Cup finished month ago and Vp4 ain't even close being released. Any excuse? :pics: If not go fking host! :knob:
niksana951
Bouncer
Bouncer

Postby AlinVille » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:22 am

lol.
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Postby zwylle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby 9balldotcom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:51 pm

No interest= no players= no tourneys and no tds who want to waste their time any more until the so called players and multitudes have got themselves organised and approach a TD with enough people that will happily play in said tourney.(well at least thats the way im running mine from now on)
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zwylle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:22 pm

:bs:
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Postby AlinVille » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I stopped playing vp3 when 9bwc was canceled - about the most clear sign that the game is dead.
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Postby zwylle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I quit playing tournaments when they quit hosting them.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Return to Tournament Headquarters