World Championships

General tournament news, announcements, ideas and suggestions.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, zwylle

What should the next World Champ Tournament be?

Cribbage
29%
3 Cushion
21%
Honolulu
29%
Bank Pool
21%

Total votes: 14

Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

lol n1
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

or, more serious:

<game_type> masters
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

The first couple of 3-cushion tourneys we had (and I ran) that way, were called Ongoing 3-Cushion.
I liked that name, I think kid came up with it.
Ongoing Honolulu has a nice sound to it too.

It shows that they are supposed to be played over a longer period without wearing out 'championships'.
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

M-aster_1989_de wrote:i think sharkey is right, it doesnt make sence if you set up world championships in any game type.

I think there are only 4 game types, which should called 'world championship':

1. 9-Ball
2. 8-Ball
3 Straight Pool
4. Snooker

Any other types should be called different.
It doesn't make any sense to call only those world championships.
Either call none of them World Championships or all of the rest as well. Those four suggestions don't include any carambol game type, and just cause a lot less people play them doesn't mean they aren't equally worth being called a championship.
And if there's carambol, then it should be 1 or 3 cushions. Or we might as well play 6ball instead of 9 because it's easier for some players as cowboy is compared to 3c.
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

I have to partly agree with Fritz though I think its not a matter of being less or more difficult but a matter of how many players would take part.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

my understanding is that our WC's are supposed to mimic the real world championships on tv. since i dont watch real pool i dont know much about these but i am willing to guess that cowboy or honolulu is not one of the 'real' world champs. That is why i thought it not quite right to make everything a world champs. i do think maybe that billiards should be added to the list of 4. as far as the others go i dont want to make them wc becuz i think that would take some of the luster away from the 'big' ones. no offence fritz but if youre the only one who doesnt like it this way im not going to consider changing it.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

What about One Pocket then?
They had "real" world championships.
Not sure about Rotation.

To me it is a VP3 World Championship if the TD spends a high amount of time and effort for organizing an ongoing event that is open to everyone.
The game itself doesn't matter that much, except that more popular games draw more players.
Cowboy is one of the most popular games.

I don't like if events that are limited to 32 participants are called World Championship.
Also if it is called World Championship it should be held not more often than once a year.
For 'less important' games, once every other year is probably enough too.
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

i didnt really want to limit the vcwc to 32 players, i just didint want byes. if signups fill quickly and there are still many players interested i will probably go ahead and open them to 64
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Nice!
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

yeah nice idea!
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------