Is this part of the forum needed

Ideas or questions on a new tournament system.

Moderator: Nugget

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this part of the forum needed

Post by 9balldotcom »

This section was added to the forum for suggestions for a new tourney ssytem........we havent heard any updates......is it becoming pointless or should we hang on for another 18 months? :groupies: :mumum:
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

IMO its never gonna happen. My suggestion is if ppl want a new system maybe we could all club together and put a bid in for a freelancer to do it. Iv not a clue on how much this could cost (anyone?) but theres no harm in trying.
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I certainly would be more than willing to look elsewhere,but thats down to Simon,its all in his hands.
More frequent updates wouldnt go amiss.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Be more patient with the work you get done for free!

It seems that nobody really appreciates here what Simon does and how much effort is put into the tournament system and what it actually is worth.

Like Darkhorse suggested, ask a freelancer to develop a site based on the suggestions.
Get someone really really cheap (not necessary good), and they will have an hourly rate around 35$.
Let's see.. how many hours might that be?

Overall site design including CSS, images for logos and frames - 40 hours
Relational database design - 40 hours
Set up table content for all game types - 20 hours
Signup / Logon functionality - 10 hours
Point system - 20 hours
Admin pages - 10 hours
TD pagess - 10 hours
Player profile pages - 10 hours
Tourney schedule - 20 hours
Tourney registration forms - 10 hours
Tourney display pages - 10 hours
History - 10 hours
Port players and profiles from the old system - 10 hours

I'll stop here.. we are at more than 200 hours.
This doesn't even include testing.
If you get someone to develop the system for you, 7000 $ would be a great deal.
Of course there would be some bugs in the first version, and you have to make sure that you don't have to pay extra to get them fixed.

Oh and right, before you hire the guy, better find out what functionality you want to include :P
Maybe keep the suggestions for that..
Wannabe

Post by B11TME »

I had a talk to Hugh about this and i know a guy who is a god at making php sites ( not templates :P ) He could design anything we wanted really but as this is his job it will come at a price, How much? I dono. Would be great idea to put some ideas in what we want and i will get him involved and then work out a price..He is a team m8 of mine in a racing team and his quality of work is A+ as i had him do work for me before and he will stand by it if there is bugs. Just an idea.
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

zwylle wrote:Be more patient with the work you get done for free!

Let's see.. how many hours might that be?

Overall site design including CSS, images for logos and frames - 40 hours
Relational database design - 40 hours
Set up table content for all game types - 20 hours
Sign-up / Logon functionality - 10 hours
Point system - 20 hours
Admin pages - 10 hours
TD pages - 10 hours
Player profile pages - 10 hours
Tourney schedule - 20 hours
Tourney registration forms - 10 hours
Tourney display pages - 10 hours
History - 10 hours
Port players and profiles from the old system - 10 hours

I'll stop here.. we are at more than 200 hours.
This doesn't even include testing.
If you get someone to develop the system for you, 7000 $ would be a great deal.
Of course there would be some bugs in the first version, and you have to make sure that you don't have to pay extra to get them fixed.

that must be a bad web designer!

i think we should sort out our ideas for a new system and ask b11tme's m8 what he thinks about it.
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

B11TME wrote:..and his quality of work is A+ as i had him do work for me before and he will stand by it if there is bugs. Just an idea.
Sounds good! Do you have an example of his work, maybe a link? Did it involve database design?
Wannabe

Post by B11TME »

This is my Live For Speed racing team site

http://www.1stracing.nl

...He did most of it...He is doing work for Snap-On Tools at the moment who are a very very big tool company. He is very talented.

He can do anything with php...If the site needs something he makes it from scratch, It would actually be better for me to see the ideas and who ever is gona be in charge of it i will give them his msn address and they can talk directly to him.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Nice site. I'd be interested to see the price tag for something custom like this.
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Maybe you could suggest the points to him that zwylle made as an idea of whats needed see if hes intrested.
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this part of the forum needed

Post by 9balldotcom »

Now that VP4 will be having its own tournament system my conclusion is that this section of the forum is no longer of any use and is therefor now redundant and is now a dead section of the forum i propose to remove in the new year,thats unless anyone can give me a very good reason to why it should now be kept.

If anything it should be cleared out and used as a suggestions section for comments on the new system as and when its available.
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Re: Is this part of the forum needed

Post by DARKH0RSE »

As Z has said there is some usefull info in there that could be carried over to vp4... If you worried about space n things getting clutterd up on the forum get RID of that pile of manure thread about phishing emails ffs....

If your going to clear it up let some 1 else do it remember what happend last time :-"

(vp4 Tournament suggestions)

:angdev: :occasion2: :occasion7: