Suggestions for new tournament system required

Ideas or questions on a new tournament system.

Moderator: Nugget

Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Suggestions for new tournament system required

Post by Nugget »

Hello all

This forum section is where everybody can put forward their ideas for features for the new tournament system.

Currently I am in the process of writing a proposal document which basically will contain a high-level description of the sort of features the new tournament system will have.

Any suggestions put forward here will be considered for inclusion in that document. It's always a good idea to state what problem a particular feature is solving rather than just describing a desirable feature.

Here is an example of what I consider to be a good suggestion:

Problem: Double-elimination tournaments are a popular tournament format but they are rarely run and when they are it is with unfamiliar software.

Solution: Incorporate double-elimination tournaments into the new tournament system.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions!

Simon
X
Tournament Website: http://www.vphqtournaments.com
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

More tournament statistics please.as already requested by Tone.
Round Robin
A Championship Tourney set up where the Td can input the number of racks for each round in a window above each set of fixtures.#

There should be more far more interaction with tournament setup for Tds
More save scores boxes on the screen instead of having to scroll to bottom of the screen to do so.

Why not incorporate a league set up option?
There should have a third digit in the match score box(for inputting 3 figure match scores like in a straight Pool to 15o points etc)
The ability by the TD to input seedings for individual players and the tourney system to automatically input the seeds into the tourney draw.

REMOVAL OF ALL INACTIVE tourney players names remove the lot of them. have aclear out.System should automatically do that anyway.Not just the 30 day thing.
Players dont automatically sign up to the tourney system....therfor not filling the system with wads of false players who wont play.

Players can only join tourney system by contacting a TD...who then allows them to join the system.Td must do an email check prior to them joining...Im all for that or some other kind of valid security check done first.

Remeber this one Simon...the facility for a Td to do a multiple dates for tourneys in one go rather than having to input each tournament indivudually.Let us set up our regular weekday tourneys at the touch of a button.

A better facility for deleting tourneys on the system.....we are still have to go to the OLD link to find missing tourneys.

Instead of a rating system incorporate a virtual Pool Bux system where you get bux for just signing up to play in a tourney...the further you go the more Bux you get.WE then have a toiurney season which lasts for 6 months etc.

League system for Snooker like the Sky Snooker League with Virtual cash for breaks over etc and for frames won etc.

I can still go on and on...just let me know.
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

please go on!
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Ok then you asked for it

Have the time for each tournament showing in the US time as well as GMT and central european time on the tournament schedule.
Have a clock with the current timezone showing on the tourney hoime page.....Next tourney due at???? GMT CET EST etc etc

Have the head 2 head option set so its easier to search for a player(it isnt now...it should be like the tourney system is when you type in the first few letters of a players name to find them)

Players signing up to the tournament system cant use symbols or punctuation to start or end their tournament names....again makes it easier to find them on the system.
A facilty for a player to upload their own picture to their profile on the tournament system...like you have for yourself.

Team events incorporated into the tourney system....so we can have our own mosconi cup again.

A Highest breaks for Sunday Snooker on the tourney system.....the facility for the TD only to input a players highest break against their name (thats just for me) LoL.

The facility for a numpty like me to put in a url thats clickable into tourney information when a TD is setting one up...at the moment you have to type some fancy text fore your url is actually workable and can be clicked.

An up and coming events page that a Td can list what they have planned for the future....if someone wants to make comments and suggestions they can.

The tables on the tournament system still have jeannettes beach house..it should say beach house only as we use the DL version now.

Your getting started page on the tourney system needs to be reworked..out of date patch mentioned etc.

The VP3 HELP SITE needs to be more prominent on the main page to help noobs.Not just under links.

Tournament site needs to be renamed to VP3 DL tournaments rather than vp3 tournaments.

Get rid of the handicap option on the system....no one really uses it.

There should be a points goal option facility on the tournament setup.(again it should be a 3 figure option for longer tourneys)..there isnt at the moment for example when your setting up a one cush or 3 cush tourney...you only have a rack goal option and a final option.

COWBOY/CAROM SHOULD BE INCORPORATED ONTO THE TOURNEY SYSTEM...even though its not officially part of VPDL as such...the facility should be there to set up a tourney.There should also be an explanation of this type of game. Other Tds may well want to offewr this tourney at the moment but cant as you have to do things manually etc.

To sum up I feel that making a comprehensive tourney system is the end goal rather than making a tourney system that needs re newing every couple of years.A system that includes as many tourney or championship options as well as our own league options...should they be required.
Do this and theres the facility to provide for the players and Tds alike...people get what they want and everyones happy.....you however have the work to do and its down to your persoinal preference as to how much time you can devote to setting the whole thing up.
We all await your statement of features when its available.
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

8 Ball APA needs to be changed to 'League'
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Id like to see doubles incorprated into the system where we can either manualy pair ppl up or let the system generate a pair.

with this we could run a few formats in a tourney we could either chuck em all in 1 room (2 pairs) and let them play alternate shots or have either teams suggest who want to play who from the opposite side once the fixtures have been drawn of course.

I would also like to see hotmail and yahoo email addy etc banned from being used for signing up to the system
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

"Team events incorporated into the tourney system....so we can have our own mosconi cup again."

so how would you expect something like that to work through the tournament system?
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Thats for you to work out,your the guy asking the questions,

Im suggesting you try and make a comprehensive and variable system or at least thats what you might try and do.

There must be a way of creating leagues or putting players into groups for preliminary rounds for tournaments etc.

The object of this exercise is to broaden your mind for how your tournament system may well try to be.If your asking me how to do it...then we are fecked cos I always thought that was where you came in. :bootyshake:

Theres no point in simply having more of the same or just tarting your system up is there?
Trying to incorporate a host of tournament options gives a more variable option to all doesnt it.
Why not steal Satmans league system that he has cos hes not using it or at least steal the idea and bring that to the tourney system.

How you incorporate that into the system??? You can get back to us on that then...give you time to think about it
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Nugget wrote:"Team events incorporated into the tourney system....so we can have our own mosconi cup again."

so how would you expect something like that to work through the tournament system?
Wouldent that work along the same lines as i suggested in my last post above. (doubles) It would just mean allowing us to add more then 1 person to a bracket.
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

but something like the Mosconi cup is different to a regular tournament. Instead of a traditional bracket style tournament, it involves two teams of 6 players playing a series of match formats with a subset of the whole team taking part in each match.
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

that would be nice, simon.

Another idea, i do not know if it already is in discussion, is to create 4 groups of 4 players and let play them each other. only the 2 best one goes throught the KO-elimination rounds (something like round-robin i think).

Like football's champions league.
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

Yes - good idea. It'd be nice if you could have a sort of "configurable event" into which you can add a league being the main event and other tournaments which players in the league can optionally enter.
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

very nice addition,

i hope that is possible to cofigure/program.

that would be a nice alternate to the "normal" tourneys.
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
MC_Clarky
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by MC_Clarky »

Well i don't have any new ideas, but i'm liking the doubles/team ideas with the option to manually or randomnly pair people up. Team rankings would be cool.

A league option would be nice of course...

As far as the mosconi cup goes, I think the format that it is would be difficult to introduce to the system. Allthough it is possible, is it worth Simon devising a way of adding it to the system to be used once a year, when it could be easily done on a website?

all my other ideas are generally aesthetic so i think i would just make things more complicated :)
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

Team rankings would be cool ... but it would only be worthwhile if the same teams regularly competed; and if teams were randomly picked it definitely wouldn't be feasible.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

If there were to be a team thing,then there should a feature that allows the system to randomly draw teams rather than all pals sticking together and forming a team of their own .
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

but it would only be worthwhile if the same teams regularly competed
I think in tennis they have a system where it is possible to change partners during the double season. The regular pairs (like Black/Black or Nestor/Knowles i.e.) don't change often but specific single players who often change partners because of availabilities are ranked anyway. Maybe each player of a pair gets half of the points they gained in a doubles tournament, which hinders in no way the fact that we could randomly choose pairs.
Am I right?
:manure:
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

9balldotcom wrote:If there were to be a team thing,then there should a feature that allows the system to randomly draw teams rather than all pals sticking together and forming a team of their own .
What is wrong with "pals sticking together" ? In a real life if a doubles tournament was advertised you'd probably get a mate to partner with. I doubt it would be advertised as "pairings will be picked randomly on the day".
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I think it would simply add a feature and maybe a bit of fun, but I agree with you, I also had my favourite partner IRL. But sometimes, he wasn't available... so I had to choose another partner... I believe it can also happen in vp3 so if it is not too hard implementing, then I think it's worth it.
Nugget
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Post by Nugget »

Yes, so basically have two options available for the TDs:

1. Let players form their own partnerships
2. Randomly create pairing when the fixtures are created

When allowing players to form their own partnerships, one of the players will sign-up, adding both players. The other player using the system will then confirm that they are a member of the partnership.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I like that idea better.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Another idea: when the TD chooses the game played in the tourney, it would be nice that a link to the rules of that game would automatically appear in the specifications of the tourney.
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

NamfatTitan wrote:Another idea: when the TD chooses the game played in the tourney, it would be nice that a link to the rules of that game would automatically appear in the specifications of the tourney.

i agree, this feature would be verrrrrry cool
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

right now if we do not have a specific tourny within 30 days the ratings are hidden. Is there a way to make it so that ratings will show for all games but only list the players who have played in any tourny in the last 30 days?
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Tattooz wrote: i agree, this feature would be verrrrrry cool
I had this idea when I saw you posted the cowboy rules in tonight's tourney specifications.. :P