Why do Celeris think it's ok to charge $21... for a patch?!

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Anonymous

Why do Celeris think it's ok to charge $21... for a patch?!

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all

Not played VP online for years, but go all the way back to Kali. Decided recently to have a little dabble in GSA... and suddenly Celeris are charging people to upgrade their VP3... but what's different? It stops cheating? So that's essentially a patch really, isn't it?

Outrageous!

Interested to see if anyone defends their decision to do this.

Update: Having done a little more research... hmm. Well - it's actually not going to cost me $21, but $9.95. I bought the game years ago when it was still Jeanette, now it's Curly or something? Apparently Curly owners get it free, but I don't. Why not? It's the same game!!

Anyway, it isn't $21, but it's still a joke, isn't it?
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

curly owners got it free becuz they already had to pay for the curly cd. they payed 10 bucks just like everyone else who has jeanette version
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Re: Why do Celeris think it's ok to charge $21... for a patc

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

atlantis wrote:Anyway, it isn't $21, but it's still a joke, isn't it?
Actually no.

You obviously where not here when the ghostball cheat was 'made available' to all. The game was in danger of going under, seriously.

Most of us that had the Curley version got the DL upgrade for free.

There is another good thing to come from all this. Celeris now have been updating the patches (which are free) and are continuing to do so. So eventually all those little 3099 bugs and some new ones 'should' be ironed out as we get new patches.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

With games from EA and other publishers going for $40 it amazes me that people moan about paying $9.95 for what is still by far and away the best pool snooker sim anywhere
Pay it and enjoy it it wont break the bank
fayr
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by fayr »

if u had to pay 4 each patch, you wood need to win the fkin lotto to keep up :bootyshake:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It's a game which people have already paid for, though. People who bought the Jeanette version paid the money as well.

Paying for a patch is ridiculous.
toasty
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by toasty »

It's a con! If they can't follow software lifecycles correctly to release bug-free versions in the first place, then they deserve to go under. That's like buying a motor and having the engine blow up due to a manufacturing fault, and them turning round and saying "We've fixed it! But you're going to have to buy a brand new car out of your own pocket."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Spot on!

If a Reg Holdsworth version was released, should you get that for free? I think so.
Stub

Post by Stub »

yea paying for this is bs..thanks
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Just ask your parents for more allowance.
:bootyshake:

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:zwyelle

You'll never know the comical stature of your last post. You really won't!
Meant to post this as me.

But anyway - very misguided comment there. And so obvious.

Personal insults like that are pretty pathetic.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

It all comes down to choice if you want it buy it if you dont then move on and quit complaining
And on another note read the gold version post by the looks of that there will be a lot more than just patch updates comeing
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Im not sure that the complainers of having to pay for the download version again are fully up to date on the circumstances and why it has happened this way.

When Vp3 players suddenly come out of the woodwork and try and play online and find theres been a significant change....yes they are annoyed at the prospect of paying more for a game they may OR like many people here....may never have purchased in the first place.

Theres something that annoys a lot of these people.....the fact that they got their hands on the game illegally in the first place and didnt actually pay for it.

Getting games by this method is why game developers lose income.
Im willing to bet that many people not wanting to upgrade are sticking by thier own principles of not having paid for the game and therfor not willing to part with money to get the most up to date version.

No doubt you and many others will insist you did buy the game and simply dont like paying again......thats your choice,but then again when you turn up in the VP3 and havent been there for say 3 years...you are not aware of any happenings in the game and it comes as a bit of a shock to you.

First thing you should do is look into the reasons why this had to happen,then air your views.

Im not here to defend Celeris,on the contrary Ill support Celeris for keeping support going for an old game like VP3.
Paying a few dollars more for a game thats given hours and hours of enjoyment is nothing IMO.
toasty
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by toasty »

I did buy VP3 as I have bought all the older versions from VP1 (DOS) through Virtual Snooker, VP2, and VPHall. However, you've still failed to address the argument of why it's ok for a company to release a flawed product and then charge to rectify those faults.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

No one is saying its ok but you name me a pc game that hasnt had a patch released for it
+ as im sure Hugh will correct me if im wrong they no longer have interplay on board
And as it stands now the game is currently being supported with new patches and game enhancments which the old version to a degree wasnt
So effectifly that makes it a new game hence the payment required
toasty1

Post by toasty1 »

mojoicus wrote:No one is saying its ok but you name me a pc game that hasnt had a patch released for it
+ as im sure Hugh will correct me if im wrong they no longer have interplay on board
And as it stands now the game is currently being supported with new patches and game enhancments which the old version to a degree wasnt
Plenty of games (Half Life 2 is an example) have had patches which significantly change the game play - however they don't charge for it.
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

mojoicus wrote:...
Certainly not.
I also think they shouldn't have charged anything for it, at least not for Curly owners, but then again, it's only 10 bucks, and it's well worth paying it if you want to play online. If you don't, you don't have to pay anything anyway.
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

what u are paying for isnt just a patch anyway, its an upgrade. youre essentially buying a better version of the old game. and its def well worth it. once u buy the upgrade any further patches should be free
toasty1

Post by toasty1 »

Why is it better?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Like toasty, I too have owned every single virtual pool game - including Virtual Pool 3 from the start, hence having Jeanette.

The game isn't really better... it's just some bugs have been ironed out... which is what a patch is for. It's poor form.
Stub

Post by Stub »

game if worse now if u ask me...its no better

Post by Guest »

There's are more than enough games that have been left to rot by the developers. Turned onto the prowling hackers that seal the coffin. Patching a game takes time, money and effort. I'd like anyone to show me a small development team that is still patching a game 5/6 years on. If you have problems with the fact you are paying to keep the game upto date and away from hackers (while recieving upgrades like bug fixes, etc) then it's as simple as NOT paying or playing. You can still set up 3099 rooms so what's the problem?

Jesus... I wish some of the games I loved were still being worked on because 10 bucks is such an ingsinificant amount to pay for peace of mind.[/b]
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

Atlantis /toasty/and stub
If youre all so pissed off with the new game and how it looks and performs sod off and play another game ffs
Leave those who enjoy it (to enjoy it)
And quit filling the forums with boring bullshit

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:There's are more than enough games that have been left to rot by the developers. Turned onto the prowling hackers that seal the coffin. Patching a game takes time, money and effort. I'd like anyone to show me a small development team that is still patching a game 5/6 years on. If you have problems with the fact you are paying to keep the game upto date and away from hackers (while recieving upgrades like bug fixes, etc) then it's as simple as NOT paying or playing. You can still set up 3099 rooms so what's the problem?

Jesus... I wish some of the games I loved were still being worked on because 10 bucks is such an ingsinificant amount to pay for peace of mind.[/b]
The problem is the software has been released with defects which are destroying and limiting the use of it legitimately (hackers) - any fixes to rectify major defects like this should by definition be free.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Anonymous wrote: The problem is the software has been released with defects which are destroying and limiting the use of it legitimately (hackers) - any fixes to rectify major defects like this should by definition be free.
I'll forward that one to Microsoft and tell them that they have to provide me with a free copy of Windows XP and Office Professional. Back a few years ago I bought Win98 and older office versions and they are not flawless.
As a matter of fact they have a huge lack of security.

Seriously..
Software is never perfect or flawless. Every game can be hacked, if someone spends enough effort to do that.
I am more than happy that my favourite game still is supported after more than 5 years.
How many people who are interested in a pool simulation are out there?
How many copies of a 10$-20$ game do you think Celeris have to sell to actually make money on this game?
For everyone who just knows a little about software development and how much time and money it takes, it's obvious that the folks from Celeris aren't getting rich here.
The opposite is the case. They must really love the game of pool to invest their time in this. Please be more supportive and don't give them a hard time.