VP4 - cuetip no longer autocentered

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

VP4 - cuetip no longer autocentered

Post by Skybird »

After the recent update for VP4, it seems the tip of the cue no longer is automatically centered exactly on the cue ball's centre, but the exact position varies randomly around the ball's center...?! I note there is a slight variation, effectively resulting in some English applied at times. Is this a bug, or is it a wanted feature (and if so, why)?

Not talking of huge differences here, only very small ones, maybe one third of the diameter of the cuetip.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VP4 - cuetip no longer autocentered

Post by 9balldotcom »

See what happens if you change adversay camera settings in game?Then swee if the cue tip resets itself.So instead of looking down your oppoents cue try just looking down the table when they shoot ,something like that and see if you then notice it centering after they have played.
Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

Until today I have not altered camera options for CO playing at all. Never had. But I do that, if only to see whether it makes any difference.
Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

Changing the menu setting for camera perspective during CO play has no effect on the symptom.
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Post by AlinVille »

Skybird wrote:After the recent update for VP4, it seems the tip of the cue no longer is automatically centered exactly on the cue ball's centre, but the exact position varies randomly around the ball's center...?! I note there is a slight variation, effectively resulting in some English applied at times. Is this a bug, or is it a wanted feature (and if so, why)?.
It is a wanted feature, basically when the cueball is close to rail the game automatically adds some top spin (which is the natural thing to do in real), I believe it's there to save time (as the player would naturally add some top manually in those spots), personally don't like it. It's been discussed a bit here as well: http://celeris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2381

PS: btw this has nothing to do with the latest update, it's been like this since the original release, I think you probably just didn't notice it?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

I believe there is a bug introduced with this version. Some people reported left or right English being applied to their shot when a CO was shooting before.
Haven't seen it happen to me though.
Someone said it was always after a CO Snooker break shot, couldn't confirm that so far.
It's probably in some way connected to certain settings or game types.
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

AlinVille wrote: It is a wanted feature, basically when the cueball is close to rail the game automatically adds some top spin (which is the natural thing to do in real), I believe it's there to save time (as the player would naturally add some top manually in those spots), personally don't like it. It's been discussed a bit here as well: http://celeris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2381

PS: btw this has nothing to do with the latest update, it's been like this since the original release, I think you probably just didn't notice it?
Negative, this is not what I talked about. It also does not explain why there is English (side-spin) added when the problem is with the rail blocking the cuetip. The symptom I describes also takes place when the balll is in the middle of the table.
Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

zwylle wrote:I believe there is a bug introduced with this version. Some people reported left or right English being applied to their shot when a CO was shooting before.
Haven't seen it happen to me though.
Someone said it was always after a CO Snooker break shot, couldn't confirm that so far.
It's probably in some way connected to certain settings or game types.
Me too thinks it is a bug, and it was not there before the last update. I have been unable to perceive any pattern in its appearance. Sometimes I take over from the CO, and the symptom is there, and sometimes it is not. Ball position, game situation, last camera setting, position of other balls or rails - nothing seems to play a deciding role triggering the symptom. The only thing that is reliable is that it happens in every frame I play, giving it quite some "omni-presence".

With English applied, it is easier to see. Draw and Follow is slightly more difficult to be seen. The cuetip wanders off from centreposition by a maximum of approximately one third of its diameter - sometimes this, sometimes just two three pixels.

I will not join Facebook just to report this. I hope other players make them aware of the issue. Thankfully it is no show stopper. BTW, why is here no dedicated VP4 forum? Not a blog, not a FB site - a simple VP4 forum?
Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

In case it is driver- or hardware-related, my specs:

i5 2500 @ 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
Win7Pro x64
GTX4600 1 GB, 275.33 (older, but the last one that worked reliable and stable with all titles over here)
1680x1050, full graphical details
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Skybird wrote:I will not join Facebook just to report this. I hope other players make them aware of the issue. Thankfully it is no show stopper. BTW, why is here no dedicated VP4 forum? Not a blog, not a FB site - a simple VP4 forum?
You can use this forum for VP4, eventually it will get a VP4 section.
Celeris just didn't get around to modify it accordingly.
For reporting VP4 bugs the Communicate with Celeris section is most appropriate. They check it on a regular basis.
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

Just an idea. Could it be that the CO maybe made the last stroke with the English and Draw and Follow settings that the player sees when taking over, and that these last effects used by the CO just get carried over to the player, somehow? Maybe worth to examine.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

That's probably the case. Unfortunately it still seems random and for some it doesn't happen at all.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

By any chance:
Do you use 'Standard Distance' for Aiming in 'Settings -> Camera'?

When I use this setting, play vs CO and they get the Snooker break the issue occurs on the first shot after their break.
Their break shot english is applied to my first shot.
Same when I apply english during the game, make the ball, this english is taken over to my next shot.
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

No, it is "Standard Distance View No Ball". But in the past I had played around with that - and the other camera settings as well. No symptom with earlier versions. Only the rails sometimes made the cuetip moving upwards, which is physically correct, I would say.

I reinstalled the .0.5 version again, and so cannot check different settings with regard to the problem anymore. The random crashes I had with .1.1. are also gone with going back to the earlier version.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

OK, thanks for confirmation.
Standard Distance No Ball acts the same as Standard Distance.
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

zwylle wrote:Standard Distance No Ball acts the same as Standard Distance.
This sounds like quantum mechanics #-o
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I don't believe there is any randomness on the tip at the moment, we have played with that in the past. But the tip will move up for the rails and balls.
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

vpeer wrote:I don't believe there is any randomness on the tip at the moment, we have played with that in the past. But the tip will move up for the rails and balls.
What exactly have you played with? Very small random tip displacements (half a tip at max), or more?
What were the reasons not to use these?
I still think very small random horizontal tip displacements would be good to prevent rolling on long shots ...
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

We may add that, it is not in there at the moment because of an issue with online.
Skybird
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Skybird »

This is just to confirm that the described symptom seems to be gone in 1.1.3 indeed. =D>