Annoying problem or bug in VP4 (+POSSIBLE SOLUTION)

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Re: Annoying problem or bug in VP4 (+POSSIBLE SOLUTION)

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

mojoicus wrote:Certainly seems to be an in game problem if its happening to com opps but very weird its not there on replays ???
Yeah.. Something happens when youre shooting a ball.

You pull the cue back, and then strike forward to shoot: right before contact (or right at the same moment as the cue touches the cueball, cant say for sure which one is true) you will ge the lag. Right after the lag the cue dissapears and the cueball starts to move (remember this moment as point 1 for example).

In the replay case, if you really think of it, there is no "real" cue back n forth swing. There is only this animation which shows the back and forth animation of the cue. The animation does not show you how hard you really shot at the time when that replay was taken: its allways the same animation no matter what force you used in the actual shot. Anyways, as the animation goes on the cue moves towards the cueball and right at the same moment as the cue hits the cueball, ( !! this is the same moment as I described in the earlier paragraph !! ): Its the moment when the actual replay starts. This might be why the lag is not visible in the replay; The moment when you got the lag was during your cue action; the "record replay" haven't started yet.

But the thing that the CO also has it.. weird. When the CO shoots, to me it's like you see exactly the same animation as you see every time when you are replaying a shot (cue stick swing).

And so it all comes into this (maybe): This is something that makes me think that the shot lag is happening on the moment when you are hitting the cueball with your cue at the first time; maybe at the moment when the cue hits the cueball the game engine does some heavy duty burst calculation of how the balls are going to move and behave in the upcoming shot and causes some CPU process peak and the lag? In replay we cant see it because the ball routes have already been calculated and easily be replayed from a X and Y coordinates dug from your RAM memory?

I might also be very badly off tracks with this one, I dont know.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

Aparently this is fixed ,so roll on the update :)
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

Fluke[FIN] wrote: And so it all comes into this (maybe): This is something that makes me think that the shot lag is happening on the moment when you are hitting the cueball with your cue at the first time; maybe at the moment when the cue hits the cueball the game engine does some heavy duty burst calculation of how the balls are going to move and behave in the upcoming shot and causes some CPU process peak and the lag? In replay we cant see it because the ball routes have already been calculated and easily be replayed from a X and Y coordinates dug from your RAM memory?
I got this feeling too, and it gets worse when shooting harder = balls roll further which results in more calculation. Even when it says 700 fps during the shot, the impact might take extra processing power. The slower the CPU is, the longer this lag is. Everything that happens after the hit, seems to be just a "video" that doesn't need heavy processing.
Anyone tried a faster CPU or graphics card yet?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

I don't have any issues on my ultrabook, which is rather slow compared to todays PCs.
Anyways, Steve posted on FB that he most probably identified and fixed the issue.

"Some anti-hacking code was interfering with performance in certain situations on certain systems."
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I confirm Steve got me going this morning after a few tests. I don't feel confortable distributing the exe he gave me coz this is a debug version, but the end of problems is near, the stutter has completely disappeared for me.
sigsky
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by sigsky »

re desktop vs full screen mode, my installation appears to have no way to change this. In settings, graphics, video mode is blank with no selection buttons. Does this indicate a problem?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

sigsky wrote:re desktop vs full screen mode, my installation appears to have no way to change this. In settings, graphics, video mode is blank with no selection buttons. Does this indicate a problem?
It usually means VP4 isn't able to properly detect your video card.
I'd suggest you contact support@celeris.com and let them know your system specs.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

Nam[BE] wrote:I confirm Steve got me going this morning after a few tests. I don't feel confortable distributing the exe he gave me coz this is a debug version, but the end of problems is near, the stutter has completely disappeared for me.
So when do we get the update then im still stuttering :(?
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I hope tomorrow but no promises, depends on how testing goes. I am done with it unless there are bugs.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

vpeer wrote:I hope tomorrow but no promises, depends on how testing goes. I am done with it unless there are bugs.
Nice one thats an excellent response thankyou :)
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Patch is up, Main Menu, Check for Update.
Should fix this problem.
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

I installed the patch, the hit was fixed but the balls roll very jerky with vsync off. Then I enabled vsync and the delay is back, but instead of the ball disappearing, it shows the delay smoothly, and then the cueball suddenly accelerates.
papagaya
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by papagaya »

vpeer wrote:Patch is up, Main Menu, Check for Update.
Should fix this problem.
Here the patch has solved totally the main problem and now runs fine. And parallel english too.

Thanks!.
sigsky
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by sigsky »

Got it and it solved all my issues! Wow, what a difference. Thanks so much. \:D/
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

Setting fps limit to max (200) made it smoother, but there is still micro stuttering when the balls roll. I need vsync to fix this, but with vsync it feels laggy, when moving the mouse it looks smooth but there is a delay. When shooting the balls there is a delay but everything is smoothened out. With vsync off, the mouse movements are instant but there is stuttering.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

Concentrator wrote:I installed the patch, the hit was fixed but the balls roll very jerky with vsync off. Then I enabled vsync and the delay is back, but instead of the ball disappearing, it shows the delay smoothly, and then the cueball suddenly accelerates.
Hi it fixed the jerky shot problem but now i get slightly jerky balls too ,i think the problem is the camera after i pot a ball the camera sort of jerks forward to the next shot and for some strange reason the graphics dont look as crisp no matter what setting i use
Last edited by mojoicus on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

If you are not maintaining the frame rate with vsync on the rate varies between vsyncs producing unevenness in the display, or as you call it jerky balls.
You have 2 choices to correct:
1) Turn off vsync. This will work but you will get some tearing
2) Run less graphics load. The main things that are going to effect the load are FSAA and resolution. If your FSAA is at 8 I recommend going to 4.
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

Fixed my laggy shot too, thanks.
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

vpeer wrote:If you are not maintaining the frame rate with vsync on the rate varies between vsyncs producing unevenness in the display, or as you call it jerky balls.
You have 2 choices to correct:
1) Turn off vsync. This will work but you will get some tearing
2) Run less graphics load. The main things that are going to effect the load are FSAA and resolution. If your FSAA is at 8 I recommend going to 4.
I have every thing at max in catalyst control centre but enhance the game rather than over ride in game settings
I have set vsync on but set too 200 and that seems to have just about cured it but there is still slightly jerky camera movement but i can live with that its a smooth cue action :)
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

You can control the rate of the camera movement for reorientations, Settings/Camera/Cam. Speed. I like it around 75, lower is smoother, higher is faster.
If you are referring to the Auto Zoom movement when you take a shot, that is not controlled by the Cam. Speed setting. It necessarily moves fast especially at the start to try and get the balls all in view.
Concentrator
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Concentrator »

Still getting delay with the patch. With vsync on, lowest resolution, and lowest graphics settings. The delay is visible in replay now, it wasn't before.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Email your system specs to vp4@celeris.com

To get System Info from dxdiag
Start Menu, in Search or Run at the bottom enter dxdiag
When dxdiag starts press Save All Information
email that file to vp4@celeris.com
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

vpeer wrote:Email your system specs to vp4@celeris.com

To get System Info from dxdiag
Start Menu, in Search or Run at the bottom enter dxdiag
When dxdiag starts press Save All Information
email that file to vp4@celeris.com
Completely fixed now after altering a few settings thank you :)
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Yes, for me it is solved too. Great work Steve!
mart
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by mart »

Thanks for the swift update steve, problems solved :)

I do still get the problems I posted in another thread regarding the firewall having to be disabled to be able to run it tho. Seems I'm the only one who's having this issue so it must be a problem from my end I guess. Oh well!! Its no biggie