Video Freezing my laptop

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

sigsky
Bouncer
Bouncer

Video Freezing my laptop

Post by sigsky »

Hi,

Am enjoying this great game. So far playing snooker only.

This is very weird but whenever I encounter an in-game video like setting up a new career or beating a boss, I can hear the audio but have a black screen so no video. At the end of the clip my computer is frozen and can only be revived by the three finger salute (CTRL-ALT-DELETE). Here's the really bizarre part. This only happens on my laptop, the videos play fine on my desktop. I have purchased separate programs for both. O/S on both machines is Vista Home Premium. Maybe has something to do with video capability, but my laptop seems to do great for streaming video of sporting events. Any ideas? Not a big problem as I don't seem to lose any data when this occurs, i.e. game data is retained.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Freezing my laptop

Post by 9balldotcom »

Hi there i and a few others have had that issue at some point,the problem is I didnt realise i had it as I never play career mode or offline at all, all my play is online.So out of curiosity when the issue was first reported I tested my game and had similar issue.

Ill give you a quote on what will most likely be your solution to the issue,as fixing this will resolve most peoples problem.

This is Celeris response to this issue
We have had problems with video on some system with ffdshow installed. The ffdshow DirectShow filter (which is something like a codec) is used to modify video streams and was probably either installed by you or came with other media players/editors that were installed. In ffdshow setup go to the 'info & debug' section and tick the box 'don't use ffdshow in' and add the VP3 executable (vp3dl.exe) in the path list. If that does not fix the problem, try uninstalling ffdshow. You probably don't need it unless you have specifically set up your media player to use it.
sigsky
Bouncer
Bouncer

Re: Video Freezing my laptop

Post by sigsky »

I thought I would let you know that I found some ffdshow files in Program Files/VistaCodecPack and after deleting them, the in game videos work fine. Thanks.