VP3 on Linux Ubuntu

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Hanterp
Banger
Banger

VP3 on Linux Ubuntu

Post by Hanterp »

I have tried to install VP3 in Linux Ubuntu using Wine, the Windows emulator.
It did not work out too well. The graphics were distorted and just after starting it crashed back to Linux with a graphic driver error.
I asume I did something wrong, or maybe VP3 cannot run under Linux.

Please is there somebody who can tell me how to run VP3 in Linux? Is it possible?
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Re: VP3 on Linux Ubuntu

Post by polomint77 »

First of all GSA does work on Wine under Linux.. Bit slow and tempremental, but it does..

VP3 under Wine (or in my case Lager, heh) does also work, but the gfx always seem to mess up. If you have an ATI gfx card then there is probably nothing you can do, but NVIDIA cards seem to cope with it better..

Can you give more information on which distro you are using along with your hardware specs, :)
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Okay, here the info:
I use Linux Ubuntu 10.04.LTS, upgrade 2.6.32.23
My graphical card is GeForce 8600 GTS, Nvidia-Linux-driver 195.36.24
I have 4 Gb of RAM.
Processor: Intel dual Core 2 6600@2.4 Ghz
Monitor: Syncmaster 206 BW LCD ( Max 1680x1050 resolutie ).

Wine-version: 1.1.42

Hopefully this helps you to help me out :)
Invertol
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Invertol »

How about Debian and Nokias N900 would be nice.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Please can somebody help me out?
See my first post and the specifications two posts above.
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,

Have you visited http://wiki.winehq.org/HowTo?

Did you try it with Wine 1.2?

Bagpuss
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

No on both questions :)
I go read it this afternoon, thank you sofar
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

I decided to dual boot my laptop with ubuntu and winxp, so I had a go....
I had no LiveCD so I thought I'd use VMWare to install using the ISO I had but allow VMWare access to my physical/real HDD. Installed fine, reboot PC, and got a major GRUB_RESCUE error... Oh dear...
Thank God I have a working netbook, :)
Anyway, couldn't do anything about the error, my DVD drive on the laptop wouldn't read any DVDs for some reason, so I couldn't fix Windows or use a different distro DVD to fix the boot error..
Anyway, found an Ophcrack CD (for cracking Windows passwords), and that booted, so I booted with that and made sure I could access the Windows partition that held the Ubuntu ISO. I could, so I tried to burn that ISO onto a CD. Doh! I forgot that you can't use the DVD drive when you are running a LiveCD from it... Sooooooooooo... installed Ophcrack to a spare partition I made, rebooted into that installation without needing to use the CD/DVD drive. That worked fine, so I used 'wodim' (CD burning tool) using xterm and am currently burning the Ubuntu LiveCD to a CD, Yayyy....
Ahhh, it's just finished burning, now to see if I can boot from the LiveCD, wish me luck...

What a night.. grr

UPDATE: Seems that the darn iso was written as Track-At-Once, which my laptop decided it didnt want to boot from. So, I'm now writing it as Disc-At-Once.. ffs
Oh ffs, my drive doesn't want to write discs at all... Time to try and get clever... brb, :)

Hmmm, I seem to be getting somewhere after doing this....

Step 1. Use gparted to create a new primary partition and format it to ext3. You need slightly more than 700MB of free space on it. 750MB should be sufficient. Let's say the name of the partition is /dev/sda1. If your new ubuntu install is going to coexist with your old system, you might find it convenient to create space for your new system as well at this point using gparted.

Step 2. Copy CD contents over to the new partition using the command

mkdir /tmp/install_cd
mkdir /tmp/installer

sudo mount disk-image.iso -o loop /tmp/install_cd
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/installer

sudo rsync -a /tmp/install_cd/ /tmp/installer

sudo umount /tmp/install_cd
sudo umount /tmp/installer

Replace the name of the iso to whatever you downloaded and /dev/sda1 with whatever your new partition is.

Step 3. Edit your grub configuration file (typically /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst) to boot from the new partition by adding the lines

title installer
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=1048576 rw
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Rebooted, selected the install boot.,.. seems to be working,.. so far....
darn, black screen as it tries to boot...

Changed the kernel line to

kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=1048576 rw i915.modeset=1 xforcevesa quiet nosplash

Seems to be booting now.. I've got the startup screen atleast, it seems to be scanning for index files it seems... I'll give it some time to sort itself out...
Well, it's booted into the LiveCD I had copied from my ISO to a spare partition, I've started the install process again, so fingers crossed...
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, it works... :) I'm now running linux, my winxp partition still works too, :)

But, I'm currently installing Windows XP in VirtualBox to see if I can get VP3 running smoothly (ish) in it. Will report back with my findings soon... :)

WinXP and GSA work fine in VirtualBox, now time to get VP3 installed.....

EDIT: I spoke too soon, GSA starts but it doesn't look like anyone can see my typing. Either that or the feckers are ignoring me, lol. This is probably to do with my router. I need to persuade it to forward the ports to the pretend WindowsXP network. I'll see what I can do, :)
VP3 works kind of, the mouse pointer moves very strangely, although I think that is something to do with VirtualBox Mouse Integration. There are some settings I can mess with so I will, :)
DISCLAIMER
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

UPDATE: Ok, GSA is working fine now. Just need to see if I can sort out the mouse issue with VP3 under VirtualBox...
DISCLAIMER
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

This sounds all very complicated #-o
I will patiently wait how things develop and hopefully you then can help me step by step with this problem.
Thanks already for the work and afford !
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Did you try to install VP3 under Wine1.2? I've not tried that yet, so I might try in the morning (It' 00:15 here now).

I can't seem to be able to persuade the mouse to work correctly with VP3 and VirtualBox, but I still have some more ideas yet..

:)
DISCLAIMER
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

No, I didn't try it under 1.2.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

I just tried to update wine to 1.2 from http://www.winehq.org/ , but I can't get it installed. I am no real Linux goeroe. I just started with it, because it's much more save than Windows.
The way of just exactly copying THIS did not work out.
rodd
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by rodd »

I've got it working on ubuntu 10.04 and wine 1.1.42
* Installed the Jeannete CD version

- edit -
Sound stopped after selecting a menu item but everything else is ok.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

rodd wrote:I've got it working on ubuntu 10.04 and wine 1.1.42

- edit -
Did you do anything special to get it work?
What are your system specs, like graphical card etc?
rodd
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by rodd »

Hanterp wrote:
rodd wrote:I've got it working on ubuntu 10.04 and wine 1.1.42

- edit -
Did you do anything special to get it work?
What are your system specs, like graphical card etc?
No nothing special, just loaded setup.exe from the cd on wine and installed the game.

My specs are:
nvidia 8800 gts
2gb of ram
Intel E8500

It had some trouble identifying the cd driver but that's wine settings.
I got no sound though.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

I have the VP-Hardy version, without CD, maybe that makes a difference.
I have the Nvidia 8600 GTS version so that is close to the same.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Wine should run VP3, it uses very old D3D graphics API so it should work. Of course with Wine/Linux nothing is guaranteed.
I would love to do a Linux version of VP4 though that is probably last in line. Mac would come before Linux, though the Mac port should make the Linux port much easier. I did have an early prototype of VP4 running on Ubuntu using SDL so the game is partially ported.
Unfortunately no money to be made selling games on Linux so it may not happen unless I get bored.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Please, be bored, [-o<
DISCLAIMER
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Thanks for your reply, Vpeer. Unfortunatly it works not too wel, as the graphics gives a lot of problems.
Has probably to do with the fact that Linux uses a special Nvidia driver. That one gives an error message.