Game installed, but will not start

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Game installed, but will not start

Post by Monguse39 »

I recently got a new computer with Windows 7. I installed and ran VP3. It lasted for a couple of days, and then it quit. I did install the free version of the anti-virus program," Avast", but since then I have shut it off to see if that was the problem. I uninstalled VP3, re-downloaded and re-installed it with the anti-virus software shutoff. And even though the files for the game all appeared to have installed and a desktop icon created on the desktop, the program still won't start. Any ideas for a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. I miss the game after all these years of having had it available to me through all of it's iterations.
Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Game installed, but will not start

Post by Monguse39 »

Since posting my "game-won't-start" problem, I've explored and experimented with the permissions for the game, but still no luck.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Hi, 2 ideas come to mind :
1. Did you try : right click, run as administrator ?
2. Did you try the compatibility modes? (right click properties, tab compatibility)

Hope you get sorted. Bye!
:manure:
Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Monguse39 »

I did try both of those options, as administrator and the compatibility options, even trying the winXP service pack3 option. So far nothing is doing the trick. I also looked at restoring to a previous date, but was cautioned by win7 that two new programs, Thunderbird and one other would be uninstalled if I did that, and the earliest restore date did not reach back to when VP3 was still running.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

We have one or two people who have had initial issues with vp3 and win 7.
One his problem was due to third party security software which once switched off the game ran ok.
We also have one chap who managed to solve issues he had with win 7 although I dont know what he did,however once he reads this post he might give you a response and a bit of assistance
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Ok, what I would do next would be to uninstall avast CLEANLY (using revouninstaller or http://www.appremover.com/ ) and install another antivirus (Avira, for example). Or better, unplug the Internet and try reinstalling VP without antivirus (or with avira on).
This way, we can check if it's a win7 issue or an Avast issue, and move on.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

Or do a system restore to the day before you installed avast.
Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Monguse39 »

Nam[BE]
I will try your suggestions and get back to you with the results. Thanks for the suggestion.

Albinario
I looked at restoring to a previous date, but was cautioned by win7 that two new programs, Thunderbird and one other would be uninstalled if I did that. I spent a bunch of time configuring Thunderbird and don't want to stumble through it all again. Also the earliest restore date did not reach back to when VP3 was still running, so it wouldn't have fixed the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

Please check if you have a third party firewall running if so turn it off.

Freeball
Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Monguse39 »

Nam[BE],

Your advice worked. Avast requires a special uninstaller downloaded from their Avast Uninstaller website http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. Neither of the other two uninstallers were able to do it. The Avast uninstall utility has to be run from safe mode. Now I am without any anti-virus protection and am wondering why you recommend Avira over Avast. or do you have any other suggestions for an AV program?

Thanks a bunch for the advice. The game is back up and running.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

As for each antivirus, they have their pros and their cons. I repaired a lot of PCs where Avast was installed. I use Avira because it's free and it has a good detection rate.
However, make yourself an idea here : http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.ph ... Itemid=152

Glad the help worked. Have fun and cya in GSA maybe ;)
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

Thats quite strange because i run Avast with windows 7 and VP3 without any problems.

Freeball
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

As I said, every AV has its pros and cons, lovers and haters. I was only explaining why i proposed Avira.
And more, if you go on AV comparison sites, the ranking (number of detections on a fixed set of viruses) changes each month...

But the solution was more to change his antivirus, more than go for a certain one rather than another. And Avira is a good free one.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Yes Ron pay attention ](*,)
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Freeball wrote:Thats quite strange because i run Avast with windows 7 and VP3 without any problems.

Freeball
I read you wrong m8, sry. I guess there may be reasons for the situations to differ. For example, 32 bits or 64 bits versions of windows, options chosen in avast, version of avast, version of AV database when VP was installed... even a mysterious interaction between avast and another software.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Pay attention Franck ](*,)
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

What for? You do for both of us! :teeter:
Monguse39
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Monguse39 »

I still had a paid-for option with Malwarebytes, so re-downloaded and installed it. Vp3 works fine with Malwarebytes registered version.