VP3 Priority Question...

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

polomint77
Banger
Banger

VP3 Priority Question...

Post by polomint77 »

Bri (Buddha) has noticed that VP3 runs as a low priority process under Windows. Even if you changed the priority to Normal, then VP3 changes the priority back to Low every 3 seconds or so. Is this something that is coded into VP3, or is it something in Windows that is altering the process priority?

For those who wish to keep VP3 running in Normal priority mode (or any other mode for that matter), then see http://www.polomint77.co.uk/vp3priority.html

Thanks.
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Re: VP3 Priority Question...

Post by vpeer »

There was an issue with VP3 not responding well online when throttled. I think the lower priority is only in windowed mode but maybe you could confirm.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

I have checked VP3 using windowed and full-screen modes.. The same applies. VP3 throttles the priority back to Low whenever it is changed. It doesn't really make much difference, but someone mentioned it to me, :) (can't remember who though...)
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I looked at the code, VP3 does change priority to IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS which is much lower but only when it is not the active application. If your using another windows tool to look at priority then VP3 does is not the active application and will be at IDLE. When VP3 is the active application it has NORMAL priority.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Is Idle? the same as Low? Thanks for replying, we just wondered about the priority. Any chance you could release some of the code, :D hehe hmmmm, maybe a community edition where we can mess with a certain version code? 3214 anyone,,, heh
DISCLAIMER
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Apollon »

I can confirm with 100% certainty that vp3 does switch process priority to low at all times, regardless if it runs as desktop window or full screen. That problem has been annoying me for many years, the issue is noticeably affecting VP3 performance on older, slower computers. It stopped affecting me so much when i got new and very powerful notebook, where even at low priority the game runs smoothly.
@ vpeer: the easiest way to check the process priority in full screen is to run the game on a system with multiple displays - that way, even when the game is in full screen it will still occupy only your primary display and you'll be able to see process priority on the other displays, without exiting full screen mode or switching the focus away from the game (it'll still be the active window). I use Sysinternal's Process Explorer and Process Monitor for such purposes. Sysinternals recently became a part of Microsoft's Technet and the program author Mark Russinovich is a former Microsoft employee, familiar in depth with the very core of Windows OS. The reason I'm saying this is to make a point that these tools don't lie - if Process Explorer says vp3 priority is low - that's what it really is, no matter what you find in VP3 code itself.
*You'll never get a second chance to make a good first impression

*War doesn't determine who is right, but who is left...

*There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't