Throw and deflection

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Roy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Throw and deflection

Post by Roy »

I did a search but couldn't find anything on this topic: Can Virtual Pool 3 generate:

1. "throw": the friction between two balls slightly changing the angle of deflection
2. "English-induced throw": the same effect but caused by English on the cue ball, also known as the "gear effect", e.g. if the cue ball was spinning clockwise it would impart a slight counterclockwise rotation to the object ball
3. deflection: a.k.a. "squirt", which occurs when a player uses English and the the angle of the cue ball off the tip of the cue is altered slightly due to the flexing of the cue stick itself?

thank you, I'm very impressed with this game,

Roy
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Re: Throw and deflection

Post by sharkey9 »

it does
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Re: Throw and deflection

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

Yes, those are implemented into the physhics model. You can investigate those in practice mode (start quick play and select only yourself to players -section) and when the game starts press T to enable the ball tracking (works only in practice mode).

About ball tracking: If you use mouse-cueing (like everyone does in normal game, simply the best way to play) the ball tracking is not accurate because your pc cannot predict the force which you about to use when striking. Although, if you decide to use power-bar based striking, ball tracking shows exactly where the balls (every single one of them) are rolling ad stopping. Where the tracking line ends, that is the place where the ball is going to stop. Power-bar based strike: (enable ball tracking) -> aim -> press and hold F and move your mouse up/down to vary the power of your strike -> press space to strike. This way your pc will know the power you are about to use and can make accurate ball tracking calculations.