Fake diamond system

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

Could you explain what exactly you mean by that?
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

Well I do remember some guy trying to explain that to me once, but I didn't understand it ( just like I don't after taking a quick look at that link lol )

I've been playing quite a bit of 3c on a real table lately, and I just use my intuition and memory. But I guess if those shots really work, they should also work in vp3.

By the way, maximum side english on those:

Height on cue ball : Center
Spin : Maximum
Cue stick position : Parallele to the floor
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

I used to play quite few players {Liberty (Tim) and McNekeRaF (Ron)} who did use the the diamond system on VP3, and they did work. However they may not work with this patch, I dunno.
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

That certainly won't work without a lot of side, the angle will be more open.

Maybe someone can explain to me why exactly there should be that much of a difference regarding the angle on those two shots.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

The number of cushions maybe!
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

That's not what I mean, I was wondering why the angle between the line before any cushion and the line after two cushions differs so much. On the second one it's almost parallel, on the first one it's more open.
I am using both when I play, I just don't get why it works so differently, physically speaking.
Might be because the topspin after the bounce off cushion one has less effect because the angle is low to this cushion and has more effect on cushion two because of the higher angle. On example 1 that is. And it might be equalizing itself on example two. But I don't know, maybe some experienced Carom player can help out?
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I had a close look and IMO the drawings don't seem right. I admit they might have taken the bounce on the cushion in consideration, but not that much.. maybe there's some side on the shot.. but it just doesn't seem right.
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

NamfatTitan wrote:I had a close look and IMO the drawings don't seem right. I admit they might have taken the bounce on the cushion in consideration, but not that much.. maybe there's some side on the shot.. but it just doesn't seem right.

zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

deraltefritz wrote:Image
That certainly won't work without a lot of side, the angle will be more open.

That image is supposed to show the path of the cueball after it already ran 3 rails:

"The diagram ... gives the path of ball number 1 after the 4th and 5th rail with a 30, 40 and 50 start point." (source: http://www3.sympatico.ca/eric.perreault ... em_en.html )

I tried it and VP3 comes pretty close if this is the 4th and 5th rail.
Of course speed is also a factor.
Banger

Post by Snoozehughes »

Steve, would it be possible to remove the spots or diamonds or whatever they are called from around the table at Loch Lomond, snooker tables do not have these IRL.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Yes i beleive you can get snooker table tipex to rub em out :fart:
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

Yes, the diamonds can be removed from Snooker in NextGen. Please put that request in that thread so it is not missed.
Hobbes99
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Hobbes99 »

deraltefritz wrote:That's not what I mean, I was wondering why the angle between the line before any cushion and the line after two cushions differs so much. On the second one it's almost parallel, on the first one it's more open.
I am using both when I play, I just don't get why it works so differently, physically speaking.
Might be because the topspin after the bounce off cushion one has less effect because the angle is low to this cushion and has more effect on cushion two because of the higher angle. On example 1 that is. And it might be equalizing itself on example two. But I don't know, maybe some experienced Carom player can help out?
Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding which shot you're referring to (you mean the image that has '60-50=10' in the top-left hand corner, compared to the image that says 'A=30', correct ..?).

You're along the right lines in your guess. Top-spin won't have too much effect on these shots, but where the first shot is concerned, the cue-ball will pick up a certain degree of right-english/spin due to the angle at which it strikes the first cushion - something which isn't overly apparent until it hits the second cushion. Another point that's worth remembering is that the 1st and 2nd cushions are much closer together in the first of those two shots - which means that the acquired side-spin has less opportunity to dissipate before striking the second cushion.

On the second shot (A=30) the angle of the cue-balls path in relation to the cushion is more closed - and the cushion-transference-spin is going to be less pronounced as a direct result - hence the less extreme change from the natural angle ... I think you were picking up on this, anyway.

As with any cushion strike or spin/english application, pace is significant, too. Interestingly, you can often use this technique to apply spin on the cue-ball using the cushions instead of the cue-tip when you're using poor-quality house cues or have no access to chalk, etc. If you're very comfortable with your angles this can be much more reliable, especially when playing on some of those god-awful tiny UK pub tables with the 'coin-op' miniaturized cue-balls ... ^_^