Why is the AI so unbelievable?

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

Anonymous

Why is the AI so unbelievable?

Post by Anonymous »

From my perspective, virtually every part of this game is spot on near perfect....except for the AI. I've been lurking around the VP3 boards for a couple of years hoping that maybe one of these patches/updates would refine the AI for offline play, but it seems like everything EXCEPT the AI has been addressed.
Normally, I don't have anger issues, but there is something about watching a (high end Pro) computer player make 5 perfect shots in a row followed by a miscue on an easy straight-in shot, or the rediculous maximum cut shot with maximum english that always goes in WITH a perfect leave, or the 4 or 5 rail miss that happens to stop in the perfect spot for a safety, (usually a combination of the above plus some others) dam near makes me crazy. I don't mind at all, the losing part. It's being beaten by such rediculous unbelievable shots that eats at me.
Just so you know, there's at least one person out here that would like to see the AI players get some attention. Thanks for the great game and the place to talk about it! -Barabas
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

why dont you come in the vp3 lobby in gamespy and play against "real" players?

to train you can play offline with two human players.
so you are not reliant on computer opponents.
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
vpeer
VIP
VIP

Post by vpeer »

I agree the AI could be better. We are looking at a re-write. As far as you comments go I do think you are overstating the issues. A few points:

Good players will make difficult shots consistently and get shape.

Most shots good players miss are not because they are difficult as much as a mental error. Yes, the percentage of misses on tough shots will be higher but plenty of champions have dogged easy shots.

If you think the program makes a 4 or 5 rails miss stop behind a ball for a safety, think again. That is just the player getting lucky. You get lucky too, there are no conspiracies or special 5 rail safety tricks in the CO model.

The biggest problem with the computer opponents is they sometime make choices that are not very human like. They also don't understand how to play some games as well as they should.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You may think I'm overstating the issues, but I don't think I am. All I really wanted to point out is that the goofy play of the AI kills any sense of immersion for me and are irritating to watch. In the case that they can't or won't be fixed, how about setting up a key on the keyboard that would advance to the end of the computer player's turn without having to watch them shoot? Kind of like a more powerful "z" button?
Thanks again for listening to my concerns. -Barabas
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

Thats seems odd to me. Why even play AI then?
You may as well just play/practise by yourself.

As M-aster_1989_de said, why don't you play on-line against real opponents?

It's much more fun, challenging and rewarding.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

I enjoy playing computer opponents sometimes.
You don't have to pay attention on what they do, you don't have to chat and if you want to leave for a few minutes or quit in the middle of the game you just do it

I agree that they make too many stupid shots.
It would be great if they would play in a way that you could actually learn from a good computer opponent.

It's probably very hard to program. Just some thoughts:
Everything seems logical, but then again there is an endless number of possible shots even in 9 ball if you include using english and vary the speed to get position on the next ball. Then there is a even higher number of ways to screw something up. Why is one mistake more stupid than another one? What makes you take a certain shot? How much of your game is controlled, how much is random?
To program this perfectly, you have to remodel the human mind, not only one mind but different player personalities and skill levels. That's much harder than just remodelling the physics. They never change.