Two points( sorry 3 points) to make about Snooker in VP3

Use this forum to chat with the makers of VP3DL, ask guestions, offer suggestions or even just tell them how much you like the game. Post VP3DL bug reports here. Please post any next gen suggestions in the Virtual Pool 3 Nextgen forum.

Moderators: 9balldotcom, vpeer

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Two points( sorry 3 points) to make about Snooker in VP3

Post by 9balldotcom »

1.Firstly we need the call a draw option brought back into snooker....and ill explain why.

We have players of such a high standard at snooker that if you so much as open one red out the pack...they have the potential to make a frame winning break.......so very often in a frame a stalemate could occur.Im thinking particularly in a big tournament I might be running.

If both players agree to a stalemate then THEY MUST HAVE the option to call a draw.
It is something that two knowedgeable Snooker players would never abuse...its a simple solution to a stalemate frame.

2.There is a problem in Snooker that no doubt many players have come across right from the start of VP3.

Ill give you a scenario.....My opponent commits a foul in Snooker.The game screen gives me the option to play or make opponent play again(but from a static top down view.)
Consequently I cant get a good view of exact table position.....so I choose to play in order to get a 3-D view of the situation.
If as a result of me choosing to play....I look at the table and DONT like the situation(as would a real life professional).....Im then looking for the option to make my opponent play again.
THE BUG IS THIS...... Sometimes I can let my opponent play again....however sometimes I cant put him in again as game screen no longer gives me that choice.I am therefor FORCED into playing a table situation I dont like.

This is something that requires fixing...perhaps also when a foul is committed in snooker we should automatically get a 3-D view...then be able to choose as to whether to play or put opponent back in.

3 The third and final point is this.
In Snooker we should have a decides who breaks option at the beginning of a match.
As in REAL snooker...the player who breaks off first will then break third frame and 5th frame and so on and so on.

Why cant Snooker in VP3 be aware of that and NOT give us the option to change turn in the middle of a match.It should be written in stone in the Snooker setup that a match will ALWAYS be alternate break...but automatically.
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

SOme clarifications

Post by Apollon »

I just want to refine those few points Hugh made, as i think there is a better way to present them and show the full picture:

1. Draw options should not be "back" - back implies that it should be readded back the way it used to be before, which is wrong:
only if both opponents agree on a draw, the frame can be drawn. Previously, your opponent didnt have a say if you decided to declare a draw, for example in losing situation. The implementation i suggest is "offer draw" option, so when a player choses it - his opponent would be given a pop up window with "Accept" and "Reject" options.
By the way - is there any limitation on how many times you can offer a draw during a course of a frame, in case previous times get rejected by opponent?

2. I suggest completely disregaring Hugh's scenario for the foul situation in the point 2, because when this rule is implemented correctly - the situation like Hugh described will simply cease to exist...The issue here is "pass turn" option, which is available (i believe not only in snooker) at any stage of any frame, which contradicts the rules of every game - this is an obvious flaw. "Pass turn" should only be allowed when game rules really allow it, for example in snooker after a scratch or some other foul.
Here is an example of misuse of "pass turn" option, when playing AI players: imagine your opponent, like Curly, has made a good defensive shot and has put you in snooker situation. Instead of trying to get out of it you can just pass the turn back to him and let him have of his own medicine...This is not allowed by game rules, and is an obvious cheat...
Another example is snooker breaks (online and offline): if you're in the middle of a break and miss a shot, without comitting a foul, if your opponent passes the turn back you can just keep scoring - break count will resume, resulting in something like false century, which you did not make. The situation, Hugh described will not occur, because instead of a nag window, asking if you want to pass the turn or not after a foul, foul message will appear but no nag window and the game will simply allow you to pass turn *after* you had a good look at the table - "pass turn" will be allowed in this case, because game rules allow it after foul. To sum it up - "passing turn" in every game should only be allowed when real game rules allow it.

3. An opening shot in the 1st frame of any snooker match "pass turn" should either be allowed (but *only* in the first frame - snooker rules say all next break shots must be alternate - 1 player breaks even, the other odd frames), or some sort of a coin toss should be performed, much like in the real game.
*You'll never get a second chance to make a good first impression

*War doesn't determine who is right, but who is left...

*There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't
Snoozehughes
Banger
Banger

Post by Snoozehughes »

Some good points, considering the last one, how about...

When you click create game and are faced with options such as
"Game Room"
"Game Type"

have a new option e.g.
"Break Type"
which is set by default to "Winner Breaks" and can be manually changed to "Alternate Break".
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Re: Two points( sorry 3 points) to make about Snooker in VP3

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

9BALLDOTCOM wrote:2.There is a problem in Snooker that no doubt many players have come across right from the start of VP3.

Ill give you a scenario.....My opponent commits a foul in Snooker.The game screen gives me the option to play or make opponent play again(but from a static top down view.)
Consequently I cant get a good view of exact table position.....so I choose to play in order to get a 3-D view of the situation.
If as a result of me choosing to play....I look at the table and DONT like the situation(as would a real life professional).....Im then looking for the option to make my opponent play again.
THE BUG IS THIS...... Sometimes I can let my opponent play again....however sometimes I cant put him in again as game screen no longer gives me that choice.I am therefor FORCED into playing a table situation I dont like.

This is something that requires fixing...perhaps also when a foul is committed in snooker we should automatically get a 3-D view...then be able to choose as to whether to play or put opponent back in.
Can you not have a look around by taking on the shot, then when you decide you don't want it after all, press 'R' for replay then you get the previous overhead window asking you whether to play or pass?

Or has that now gone?
Apollon
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Apollon »

That still exists, its not gone. However, the issue here is that it's wrong we're forced to use workarounds like this for what should be straight forward game option of passing turn...
*You'll never get a second chance to make a good first impression

*War doesn't determine who is right, but who is left...

*There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't
sharkey9
VWSC 2007

Post by sharkey9 »

Well that´s a very minor issue imho. I never ran into any sort of trouble with that.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean