Installing patches

Play online, have fun, make friends. Discuss playing VP3DL online plus how to get started playing, setup that firewall, and use GameSpy Arcade.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Installing patches

Post by 9balldotcom »

There are a few people who when installing the patches for vp3 get problems.
The problems hoewever are self inflicted IMO.

First of all when your installing a patch,you must make sure you have your firewall and stuff like that switched off.
After all the first thing that appears on the screen when you try to install the patch,tells you exactly that.

The next thing to do(certainly with the firewall Im using and just to be on the safe side)is to permit the new vp3 exe to run again in your firewall configuration screen.

Thats all i do each time and dont get problems with the old black screen at game launch.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.303 installed here, and here's how I get around the problem: I open the game offline (after patching) and I select software mode to have the game running in a window, that I resize so I see my desktop. Then I close the game and go to gs and set a game.
Then usually, the firewall pops up saying the exe has changed and asks if I authorize the new exe, which I do. Then it's ok.
The reason I resize the window of the game is that when the firewall pops up and I'm in full screen mode, I just get stuck with that black screen coz the firewall popup doiesn't come ABOVE the full screen game.
Don't forget to get back to your favourite settings after that.
Hope that helps!
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

I wouldn't turn off the firewall, it doesn't interfere with installing.

Franck: Can you not just hit alt-tab to get out of game and reach the firewall dialog?
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

It's a similar problem with ZoneAlarm, alt tabbing doesn't work. It's possible to configure it even if you can't see the ZA alert/allow screen if you know the keyboard shortcuts. That's how I used to do it, but now having 2 displays, I can get the alerts to pop-up on the other desktop.

Also, regarding the installation of this patch I had similar problems. With the firewall on, the unzipping installation part just hung there. I aborted, closed GSA, turned off the internet, turned off ZA and restarted and it worked.

So it was either GSA or ZA that prevented the patch running. (Kasperky anti virus was left running)
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

I beg to differ Fritz ,the firewall most certainly does or can interfere with installing the patch.

Maybe im missing this german sense of humour :bootyshake:

But different firewalls give you different options...so i would say the safest way to get the patch installed trouble free would be to have it switched off initially then configure it for the game again if needs be.
No one should be usung a firewall they dont know what to do to configure it.....thats like driving on the Autobahn blindfold is it not?
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

9balldotcom wrote:No one should be usung a firewall they dont know what to do to configure it.....thats like driving on the Autobahn blindfold is it not?
No, it's like driving without a seatbelt on an Autobahn, who cares how it works, it just does and may save your life.

If you do turn your firewall off, TURN OFF your Internet or unplug it.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

no man turn the firewall off and keep your connection on and feel the rush of adrenaline! live life on the edge man
deraltefritz
Banger
Banger

Post by deraltefritz »

A firewall shouldn't interfere with installing programs. It's there to control traffic.
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

deraltefritz wrote:A firewall shouldn't interfere with installing programs. It's there to control traffic.
Agreed, but somethings going on. And after all when you install the patch, it does say turn off...blah blah - mainly to cover ANY possibilty.

If I get time and I'm bored I'll re-install and do a more thorough test.