Alternate pool video lessons? & Blog suggestion

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Dark Rider
Wannabe
Wannabe

Alternate pool video lessons? & Blog suggestion

Post by Dark Rider »

Wow this forum is slow. I guess everyone is getting ready for x-man in 3 days.

I understand in VP4 there will be some video instruction. It is said this is just the basics. How is this compared to Janette Lee's videos from VP3? Is it a lesser amount of video instructions?

Assuming so, is there any good alternate video series that is free online people can use to learn ( or refresh) how to shoot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just saw the blog and wanted to comment on the FOV post. I did not register because not only is a name but an address and phone number is required. In today's climate of internet security troubles people are advised against giving such personal information over the net.. even to a game company you think you can trust. I predict you will get many more registrations if you lessen these stringent registration requirements.

Is that also the same site that will handle the VP4 online games? If so, I think you will be surprised at the amount of potential online players that are not willing to give such information. You will therefore lose money, and IMO it's not a very smart business practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The blog gives a formula for finding your preferred FOV. Many people find this to be bothersome and or inaccurate for them. (from the comments) As a first person gamer for many years, ( and we do play VP in first person) I can tell you the easiest way is to ignore that formula and start with the default of 40. Then just bump the FOV up in 5 point increments until you find what works right for you. This is how it's done in every first person video game and works well without having to worry about such a formula.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: Alternate pool video lessons? & Blog suggestion

Post by zwylle »

IMHO the VP4 video lessons are much better than the VP3 lessons.
There are more videos, more information, much more to learn and many many shots to try.

But if you buy the game to play LAN (weren't you posting that in another thread?), you will be disappointed. There is no LAN option.
The offline version is truly offline.

Regards FOV: Yes, you can get there by just trying. In order to do that you have to have an idea of how a table should look like though.
The formula gives you an idea, if you are not sure about that.
There can be recommended FOVs below 40. If you play on a small screen, you may want to start experimenting at the lowest FOV possible.

And yes, you will have to give your personal information to play online.
Of course you could make up a name or address, but in case you buy products or services, the info should match the information on your credit card or whatever you use for the purchase.
If you play online poker or purchase things online at Amazon or similar sites or even if you just register your Starbucks card for free drinks you have to enter your information too, so I don't see a huge issue with that.
That's unless of course you think Celeris in particular does not appear trustworthy. To me they are. They are long enough in business.
But everyone has to decide for themselves.
Wannabe

Post by Dark Rider »

zwylle wrote:IMHO the VP4 video lessons are much better than the VP3 lessons.
There are more videos, more information, much more to learn and many many shots to try.

But if you buy the game to play LAN (weren't you posting that in another thread?), you will be disappointed. There is no LAN option.
The offline version is truly offline.
Can I play head to head with my partner online exclusively.. want to be sure we can get a room to ourselves to play.. as if over a private lan ?
That's unless of course you think Celeris in particular does not appear trustworthy. To me they are. They are long enough in business.
But everyone has to decide for themselves.
I have no reason to mistrust Celeris but I know asking for real info does get many people put off. I buy things online and use Credit Cards that have valid billing addresses but they are not necessarily my address nor are the the same as my name. I can get Wal-Mart money cards set up for use with any name I wish and no one can get my personal info from that when I use that card. In this manner I feel my info is more secure. Even on Amazon.com I don't use my real name nor is it required.. as long as the card I'm using is valid.

I feel Celeris could offer a much more appetizing service if they didn't require real info. I feel if they have a valid credit card on you, that's all they should concern themselves with - anything else is just more for hackers to steal.. the valid CC info is bad enough but it's a necessary evil.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Dark Rider wrote: Can I play head to head with my partner online exclusively.. want to be sure we can get a room to ourselves to play.. as if over a private lan ?
Yes, in VP4-Online it will be possible to set private/password-protected rooms.
Wannabe

Post by Dark Rider »

zwylle wrote:
Dark Rider wrote: Can I play head to head with my partner online exclusively.. want to be sure we can get a room to ourselves to play.. as if over a private lan ?
Yes, in VP4-Online it will be possible to set private/password-protected rooms.
Awesome. Thanks.