Aiming in VP4

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Gallinho
Wannabe
Wannabe

Aiming in VP4

Post by Gallinho »

Hi' i'm loving this game but there's one thing that is just destroying me and that's the aiming system. It seems that if i hit the shot as i see it down the cue i will always hit it way too thin. I've used the ghost ball to help me and it just looks like you have to hit the ball much too thick in order to pot it, its like the 'on cue' camera doesnt marry up with the shot that needs to be played. Like if a thin cut is needed and i play it the way i see it then i'll completely miss the object ball. Today, for instance, i was 3 inches behind the object ball and wanted to just flick it onto the side rail and send the cueball up the table, and when i lined up the shot the edge of the cueball was clearly going to hit the object ball but when i played the shot i missed the ball completely. i looked at the replay and again from the 'on cue' camera it was defo going to hit the object ball!
Because i play pool in real life alot its feeling crazy trying to hit the ball too 'thick' in order to pot it and its making this game near on impossible for me to play well bcoz i'm lining up the shot how i see it and how i'd play it in real life and then thinking to myself "well even though this looks perfect i know its gonna be too thin so i'd better take a bit more object ball", which is no way to play pool.

Is this just some sort of camera bug and has anyone else had this problem? Please help me out coz i wanna be good at this game so much!!!!!!!
I think VP4 is the first videogame i've ever played where i'm waaaaay better in real life at the activity than the videogame version :strokeit:
Fluke[FIN]
Hustler
Hustler

Re: Aiming in VP4

Post by Fluke[FIN] »

You could try to change your field of view setting (settings -> camera) for your preference. I use value 48, depends on your monitor and your distance to monitor what value suits the best.

Theres one other thing also: the height of your aim. In vp series you are allowed to aim with a very low angle (stance). Players naturally use very "stance" low aiming for to be able to aim easier/more accurately but I find that way actually a bit more difficult than aiming with a slight higher stance. It might sound and feel not true in a game at first but.. just try it you might be pleasently surprised. I always take a quick sight at the angle from the pocket to the object ball and then go for aiming and just keep my eyes on the object ball and shoot. In short in other words: do no aim with too low stance, it might feel easier at first that way but for me atleast it doesn't work.

And try with different zoom levels, I find it easier to see the angles with a little longer distance. But always use the same zoom for your aiming, mixing a lot of different zoom levels in every other shot is not for good.
Gallinho
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Gallinho »

Thanks for the advice fluke, its really made a difference. I had my FOV far too high and i was using the lowest possible stance!
The higher camera view when lining up has definately helped me see the shot better. just have to practice now and try not to scratch the cueball every 3 shots!
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

The maker of the game ( Steve Chaplin ) wrote an article about FOV on his blog:
http://vponline.celeris.com/blog/post/2
Maybe you find this interesting to read.

A question to Fluke[Fin]:
Theres one other thing also: the height of your aim. In vp series you are allowed to aim with a very low angle (stance). Players naturally use very "stance" low aiming for to be able to aim easier/more accurately but I find that way actually a bit more difficult than aiming with a slight higher stance.
Is your aiming for very long shots not affected when setting the aim higher? I find long shots always difficult to aim anyway. :-k