Virtual Pool 4 DRM

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

amok
Wannabe
Wannabe

Virtual Pool 4 DRM

Post by amok »

I was interested in VP4. But I heard that VP3 uses an very archaic and draconian DRM, and that Celeris planned to continue using the same DRM for VP4:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpo ... stcount=32

Is this still correct? If it is, then I do not think I want this game as I can not have it on my laptop as well as on stationary computer, I use both just as much.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Re: Virtual Pool 4 DRM

Post by zwylle »

Yes, you can not have the game installed on 2 computers at the same time with one license only.
That's common software practice.
The chance of Celeris changing that is about zero.
Good luck finding any pool game/sim even close as good when you move on.
Wannabe

Post by amok »

zwylle wrote: That's common software practice.
umm, no. Name one other software whom can only be installed on one computer, I can't think of any any more. There where some early DRM's which did so, however today I have not had any problems installing my software on multiple computers.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

OK, let me rephrase:
It's common practice to sell one license per PC.
Windows, Office, Photoshop, Tiger Woods..
Just because they let you install it twice at first, doesn't mean it's legal.
Maybe Celeris can't afford to employ the army or lawyers Microsoft, Adobe or even EA Sports can, so they need to keep you from installing it twice in the first place.
Wannabe

Post by amok »

DRM has nothing to do with lawyers, it has everything to do about company policy.

There are several examples out there who manages and thrives just because of anti-DRM stance. Staying in games industry, look for example at Humble Bundle, GOG, Desura, heck even one of the pillars of DRM, UBIsoft, have toned down their DRM a lot the last two years, but even those games you could have installed on more then one PC at a time. Steam games you can install on as many computers you want...

There are also a lot of indie developers, such as LoFi games, Instant Kingdoms and so on, which manage to do one-time activation without using lawyers to implement it.... nor actually the expenses of doing so. Celeris is using an extremely outdated and cumbersome DRM procedure which most other game companies have left behind long time ago. If I where a pirate I could install their software on as many computers I wanted to, as a paying customer I can not. So the only people their form of DRM hurts is actually the paying customer, that can't be right? And I will not support this practice, though I would like the game.

Edit - licenses for entertainment software are usually sold per person or household, not computers. If you read the EULA you will usually find this phrase like this " Ubisoft grants the User a non-exclusive and non-transferable Licence to use the Multimedia Product, but remains the owner of all the rights relating thereto", this is taken from Settlers 7.

Let me also ask - just why should Celeris "need to keep me from installing it twice in the first place"?

Edit 2- I just dug out my old email from LoFi games when I bought Kenshi, and I quote: "Keep your key code, it has unlimited activations forever, even after the game is finished. I won't have no evil DRM system on my ship! No sir!" - hmmm wonder how many lawyers he needed to put this in his email.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Yes, there are software companies with different licensing strategy.
They all do what they think is right for them.

If you don't like that VP4 offline is tied to a PC, and it's a huge issue for you, just don't buy it.
I believe VP4 online licenses will be tied to users and I'm pretty sure some folks will not like that either.