Vp4 vs. Vp3---what are you going to do/play?

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Vp4 vs. Vp3---what are you going to do/play?

Post by BlackJagged »

Despite all the little things still to be improved: after a few hours of playing snooker in VP4 Im so fascinated with the realism of it that I just want to keep playing it. What I do in VP4 almost perfectly mirrors my playing in real life: the breaks, the misses, the positions. But then I played a game of Cowboy at Loch in GameSpy/Vp3, and thats my favorite and best game----and it was horrible. The aiming in Vp4 seems to be more realistic, and its different in VP3, and I couldnt pot a ball that was further away from a pocket than 5 inches or so.

Im not sure what Ill do for the year or so since VP4 gets online function: play both games and suck at both? Forget about VP4 for the time being to keep at least a bit of playing ability online with vp3? I really dont know...the lure of 4 is really great, but playing online with my old mates in the night is a fundamental part of my life routine.

What are you planing to do?
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vp4 vs. Vp3---what are you going to do/play?

Post by 9balldotcom »

Well im not sitting around in the gamespy lobby waiting for 9 months or more for online vpr4 im going back to the ps3 and play there for a while again.

Launching offline long before online was going to be available big FAIL for us veteran vp players who hate playing AI players and of course omitting a LAN option for us to tide us over till we got proper online is an even bigger FAIl.

I wonder if Celeris were really worried that preventing us from a LAN option is really protecting their investment or that they seriously think that people would just play LAN and not want online when it comes.Wrong

If anything folks would have had a lot more respect for Celeris in actually providing LAN as a backup and a future safety line.

By the time online comes around any hype for vp4 will long since have died away as it languishes on the hard drives of already bored to death patrons fed up playing Pro Tour time and time again.Im speaking of course for myself and some others,not everyone as some folks will never go online and are happy with an AI playing way of virtual pool life.
BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

I guess there is nobody more loyal to VP and to Celeris than you, Hugh, and if even you are criticizing this decision they should listen. Allowing LAN play would surely not hurt Celeris' coming business-model cause its too much fumbling around for the average Joe...but it would be a solution for us die-hard VP players to survive the next year or so. If they are smart they may consider it: putting up a patch with LAN, making us happy---because we are the for-free multipliers and advertisers of this game.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

My loyalties are with the players all the time and whats good for us.
Celeris have their reasons for not providing LAN we dont all have to agree with them.

Im speaking also as a frustrated online player through and through.Soon as I got online then i got a defunct offline version i shall not go near again.

Its like a form of prohibition this is and im gagging for some online play.
Hanterp
Banger
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

I will play both. Problem is that a friend of me want to play snooker, but not in long frames. Solution, we play snooker each other on a pool-table. That makes it real fast frames! As Steve has made clear that this option will not be in a future patch for VP4, I will keep playing VP3 as long as my friend comes around...

For myself it is a whole different story. I will play VP4 and especially games where you can score points, I love that! :) So straight pool for me and snooker.
I find VP4 very difficult to pot balls in snooker. The pockets are very unforgiving, even on the lowest difficulty.
So I decided to start off very easy-going, using a ghost ball ( I feel almost ashamed to admit it ).
Guess what? The ghost ball seems to be inaccurate at times. I really hit the ghost ball full in the face and I still manage to miss pots!
Can there be a bug?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Hanterp wrote:So I decided to start off very easy-going, using a ghost ball ( I feel almost ashamed to admit it ).
Guess what? The ghost ball seems to be inaccurate at times. I really hit the ghost ball full in the face and I still manage to miss pots!
Can there be a bug?
Ghost ball is more a hint than an accurate cheat. Other than tracking lines it doesn't factor in speed, butt angle and applied english.

Regards the original question:
I wish there was a LAN option for VP4, but since there isn't I'll keep playing VP3 whenever I feel like getting stomped by a real opponent.
Banger

Post by Hanterp »

Thank Zwylle, I did not know that :-)
chocolate7
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by chocolate7 »

Why Im speaking also as a frustrated online player through and through.Soon as I got online then i got a defunct offline version i shall not go near again.