I'm sorry, but I just cannot figure this out.

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

I'm sorry, but I just cannot figure this out.

Post by LP11725 »

I use to play Virtual Pool 95, and I loved it which is why I recently purchased VP3. I started a career mode, played and bit, and then clicked " put my career on hold " button which I assumed was a save, but turns out once I closed the game, and re-launched it, nothing appeared under careers to continue, and when I go to load game, nothing is under user, as I see there is no actual " save " button anywhere in the menus unless somehow I missed it like 10 times. Can anyone please shed some light on how exactly you save your progress with VP3? Thanks!
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Re: I'm sorry, but I just cannot figure this out.

Post by Bagpuss »

It should save when you put your career on hold and even if you exit the game unexpectedly (as I recall). Which version of VP3 are you using and which version of Windows are you running?
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Bagpuss wrote:It should save when you put your career on hold and even if you exit the game unexpectedly (as I recall). Which version of VP3 are you using and which version of Windows are you running?
I am on 3.3.1.1 on win7, I've tried compatibility mode for XP, and still as soon as the game is closed, career data is gone, I am still waiting on a response from Celeris. Just sucks, because if I play career, I can only go as long as the game is running, even once clicking put career on hold, and the game is closed, the game acts like my career never existed.
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

I run Windows 7 (64-bit) and don't run VP3 in compatibility mode. I assume you are running the VP3 DL (download) version and not the old retail version (which I don't think works with newer versions of Windows).

You could try re-installing but when running the setup file right-click and choose Run as administrator.
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Bagpuss wrote:I run Windows 7 (64-bit) and don't run VP3 in compatibility mode. I assume you are running the VP3 DL (download) version and not the old retail version (which I don't think works with newer versions of Windows).

You could try re-installing but when running the setup file right-click and choose Run as administrator.
No, I do not run in compatibility mode, I said " I tried " it in compatibility mode to see if it work solved the problem and didn't. The game runs fine with newer versions of windows, and yes, I run all my games as admin. I re-installed the game 4 times already, and it still won't save my career. I've installed the setup as admin
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

OK, on my W7 PC the VP3 save files are stored in the following location:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Celeris

There's a "vp_save.vpx" file and also a sub-folder called "vpc data".

As it seems to be an issue specific to your PC, I'd check that location and see if the files/folders exist (make sure you can see hidden files in folder options before doing this).

It may be that the Windows 7 virtualisation isn't working for VP3 for some reason - I think you can change this behaviour if you root around online.

As an aside, I noticed when I last ran VP3 that Avast! (my antivirus) offered to run it in a sandbox - this would certainly lead to data not being saved - you may want to check your AV hasn't done something similar.

It's pretty frustrating Celeris haven't got back to you - they certainly need to get their support sorted before VP4 comes out!

Good luck.
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Bagpuss wrote:OK, on my W7 PC the VP3 save files are stored in the following location:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Celeris

There's a "vp_save.vpx" file and also a sub-folder called "vpc data".

As it seems to be an issue specific to your PC, I'd check that location and see if the files/folders exist (make sure you can see hidden files in folder options before doing this).

It may be that the Windows 7 virtualisation isn't working for VP3 for some reason - I think you can change this behaviour if you root around online.

As an aside, I noticed when I last ran VP3 that Avast! (my antivirus) offered to run it in a sandbox - this would certainly lead to data not being saved - you may want to check your AV hasn't done something similar.

It's pretty frustrating Celeris haven't got back to you - they certainly need to get their support sorted before VP4 comes out!

Good luck.
I indeed use avast too, and yes I have been running in sandbox..... I bet you that was my issue, I am going to try it not in sandbox, and see if it works as intended.
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

Excellent - I've got good vibes about this and I suspect it'll work fine outside of the sandbox - fingers crossed!
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Bagpuss wrote:Excellent - I've got good vibes about this and I suspect it'll work fine outside of the sandbox - fingers crossed!
I was wondering why every time I loaded VP3, it always asked me for my serial...I bet you that was sandbox too. I am going to try it now.. brb
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Thank you Bagpuss

Sandbox was indeed the culprit

You rock!!!
Bagpuss
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Bagpuss »

It was a pleasure to assist - enjoy the game!
LP11725
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by LP11725 »

Bagpuss wrote:It was a pleasure to assist - enjoy the game!
Woot