VP3DL "not installed properly" message

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

VP3DL "not installed properly" message

Post by BMolony »

A couple days ago, I installed VP3DL and it has been working perfectly for several days. I even tried a few games at GameSpy with no problems.

I then decided to go ahead and uninstall my old version of VP3. The two versions were located in totally different folders and even in the Registry, all the old version stuff was in two separate subkeys under both Celeris primary keys. After successfully completing the uninstall, I deleted all remaining stuff in the old Program Files folder and removed all old VP3 entries in the various Start Menu folders.

After doing all that, I then tried VP3DL and got the following pop-up box message:

Virtual Pool 3 is not installed properly. This is either a multi-user system and VP3 has not been installed for this user or the installation is bad. For a multi-user system, contact your system administrator. To re-install a corrupt version, remove any existing version using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Re-install Virtual Pool 3 from the CDROM.

So I press the OK button and VP3DL goes ahead and loads and runs perfectly. I tried it several times with the same results. Each time, I get that same pop-up message and then VP3DL goes ahead and runs just fine.

If possible, I don't want to uninstall and then reinstall losing my current scores.

I am running a pretty new PC with 4 GB Ram, a wide screen monitor, and Vista Home Premium.

How can get rid of that pesky pop-up box?
AlinVille
V9BWC 2007,08

Re: VP3DL "not installed properly" message

Post by AlinVille »

BMolony wrote:A couple days ago, I installed VP3DL and it has been working perfectly for several days. I even tried a few games at GameSpy with no problems.

I then decided to go ahead and uninstall my old version of VP3. The two versions were located in totally different folders and even in the Registry, all the old version stuff was in two separate subkeys under both Celeris primary keys. After successfully completing the uninstall, I deleted all remaining stuff in the old Program Files folder and removed all old VP3 entries in the various Start Menu folders.
I remember doing that also. Had VP3DL (3311 version with executable name vp3.exe) and 3099 version installed at the same time, then when I uninstalled 3099, VP3DL wouldn't work. It's because they share the same name for the executable, vp3.exe. Older versions of VP3DL had it called vp3dl.exe therefore different name than the one in 3099 and you could have both installed, could uninstall any of them etc. Now I think it messes something up in registry having the same filename. Anyway. If you want to keep your "current scores" just copy paste your current VP3DL folder as backup somewhere, uninstall the game completely, reinstall it and then move the backup folder over the fresh new reinstall, overwrite all. It will work.
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: VP3DL "not installed properly" message

Post by BMolony »

AlinVille, THANKS for the reply.
That worked perfectly--well almost anyway.
It did indeed keep my scores and career stuff intact.
But surprisingly--or maybe not so surprisingly--other settings were not saved.
I guess things like my selected video mode and such are in the registry.
But getting those back like I wanted them was relatively easy.
Of course, the most important thing, that frustrating error message disappeared.
So I am happy.
Thanks for taking the time to help me with a fix!
Be well,
Bill Molony