D3D Initialization Failed--Couldn't find a legal video mode

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

D3D Initialization Failed--Couldn't find a legal video mode

Post by BMolony »

I have been using VP3 since at least 2001-2. I have been able to keep it working successfully through multiple computer, monitor, and operating upgrades and continue to enjoy it immensely! I was even more amazed to see Celeris was still running a forum with active players! To say the least, that is quite an achievement for any such legacy software!

I currently run the latest release version of Vista with all updates applied. I recently purchased a new wide screen monitor, a Samsung P2370. I run it at the max resolution, 1920 x 1080. VP3 was running perfectly up to the day I installed the new monitor.

When I tried to run VP3, it fails to load and presents the message "D3D Initialization Failed. Aborting". The VP3 Message Log says: "Couldn't find a legal video mode". I have also attempted to run VP3 with each of the command line switches given in the help file but none make any difference.

I assume that the problem may be because the 1920 x 1080 mode was not expected nearly a decade ago. Though I don't remember the exact settings with my last monitor, my previously saved VP3 graphics settings were probably substantially lower than that but at full screen mode. My assumption is that VP3 is now still trying to run at full screen mode but cannot match that 1920 x 1080 resolution.

If that is the case, how can I force VP3 to run in windowed mode or at a lower resolution so that I can get it running and then find a suitable resolution for this new monitor? If my assumptions are wrong, does anyone have another suggestion?

I really miss my VP3!!!

Be well,
Bill Molony
Houston TX USA
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Re: D3D Initialization Failed--Couldn't find a legal video mode

Post by polomint77 »

You need to get vp3 into safe mode somehow... Did you try -soft command line arg to force VP3 to start in software mode?

If that doesnt work, then start vp3, but don't click on the error message. Open Task-Manager and EndTask the vp3.exe. Then try starting vp3 again, it might ask if you wish to start in safemode.

If it lets you in in safemode, then go into the options and switch vp3 resolution to desktop mode. It's the best way to play it I think.

Hope that helps..

PS: I have another idea too, I'll check it out and let you know.
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Oh, I meant to EDIT the last post,.. ahhh stuff it, I can't be bothered going back...

RIght.......

Open the Registry Editor, click the Edit menu, and select Find....

In the search box, type 'Full Screen' (without the quotes), and press enter. The value there is probably 1 cos you running fullscreen.. Try changing it to 0 by doubleclicking on it and inputting 0. That should change you to desktop mode so that you can atleast run vp3. I wouldn't close the Registry Editor until you know vp3 is working...
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

Or get the DL version - it supports widescreen resolutions.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Bill make yourself known in the vp3 lobby Im sure we can get something sorted out for you......and whay havent you been playing online...offline sux,you got to meet some of the guys who play online regularly to see how good you are.
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by BMolony »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! They sound very workable so I hope they work.
As for 9balldotcom, thanks for the invite--I think :)
Haven't been here before because I did not even consider a place like this existed!
But then, I guess I should have known. After all, EVERYTHING seems to be on the web! :)
As for finding out "how good I am", not sure if I can measure up.
But I will definitely try it out--IF I can just get VP3 going again! :)
Will let you know.
"Long Shot"
Bill Molony
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by BMolony »

Ok, polomint77, I reversed your suggestions but neither worked.

I began with the Registry. I found 2 locations for "Full Screen" under Celeris VP3 keys. I changed the Hex values of each from "0000 01 00 00 00" to "0000 00 00 00 00". When I ran VP3, I got a new message box: "There is not enough memory to run on the Desktop. Switching to full screen mode." Of course, that was then followed by the original message box: "D3D Initialization Failed. Aborting" And by the way, my PC has 4 GB of memory so the memory message does not make any sense.

At that second message, I then tried your first suggestion using Task Manager to kill the process. When I ran VP3 again, I got the message box: "D3D Initialization Failed. Aborting" again. So I am back to square one. But I am intrigued by the reason you made that suggestion. If there is some way I could force VP3 into safe mode, that might get me running. As I said in my initial message, I tried all 3 documented switches including -soft. If there was just a way to force safe mode!!!

While in the Registry, I also noticed some additional intriguing entries:
Full Screen Bit Depth with a value of 20 Hex (32 Decimal)
Full Screen Refresh with a value of 0 (Hex and Decimal)
Full Screen X with a value of 800 Hex (2048 Decimal)
Full Screen Y with a value of 600 Hex (1536 Decimal)
If those last 2 entries have anything to do with screen size, neither makes sense on either my old or new monitor.
I also saw a Registry entry
Window Rect with a value of 0 0 1600 1200.
Maybe this is the entry I need to change to 0 0 1024 768 ???
If not, any more ideas????
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

You could try changing the resolution of your desktop manually to 800x600 before starting VP3. Then you change the VP3 resolution to desktop mode, and then you change the resolution of your desktop to your normal resolution again.
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Oh Albi my sweetiepie... :P

That's actually a good idea, hehehe
If that doesn't work then I'd start editing the Full Screen X and Y and Window Rect values in the registry, Good Luck, :)
DISCLAIMER
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by BMolony »

Albinario, thanks for the response.
Unfortunately, changing my desktop resolution was one of the first things I tried.
I set it to 1024X768 but the same message popped up.

I think my next option is polomint77's suggestion to edit the Full Screen X and Y in the Registry.
Will let you know how that goes.
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by BMolony »

Well that did not work either.
I tried setting my resolution to 800X600.
I also tried changing Full Screen X and Y in the Registry to other possible settings.
No joy! :(
I guess my only remaining option is to get the newer VP3DL and hope that works.
BMolony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by BMolony »

Finally gave up on getting old version to work.
Installed VP3DL and worked perfectly on first try.
Thanks guys for all the suggestions!
Maybe I will see you at GameSpy.
LongShotBill Molony