What about another computer?

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

jbrother
Wannabe
Wannabe

What about another computer?

Post by jbrother »

So I see that you can only register the key you get from upgrading on one computer at a time.

How do I go about installing and using it on say my laptop or another computer in my other room?

Do I really have to pay another 9+ dollars to use this on my own computers?

Is there a way to buy a severely reduced price key?

Thanks
djvivid
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: What about another computer?

Post by djvivid »

Yes realy.. you have to buy a serial per machine. And not only that, you can only play it on one machine at a time as your router has to dedicate the ports to one device.

We need to get rid of GSA and have a dedicated game server. I don't think its so bad to have to have a licence per machine, in fact I can't think of an example of fee software that allows you in their terms and conditions to let you use it on multiple machines. But the port system is realy anoying, I have multiple machines and it would be great for people to come around when we have "LAN" parties to play VP3.. sadly not possible with out a very clever multiple ip proxy system.

Peace

Andy Wood
jbrother
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by jbrother »

My interest in having it on multiple machines is not to play it with other people on a LAN locally here in my house. It is so i can play it on my laptop in the other room and not in my office if I so choose. I do understand the developer is trying to keep peeps from just giving away their key, but a max of three uses would be grand for inter-house use.

I know that there is most other "fee" software as you call it does not normally allow this and if there is a monthly fee associated with said software I fully understand it, however a reduced key price (4 or 5 dollars would be fair) for those of us who already purchased the software would not be unheard of. I payed for this game twice so far already and once was the full store price for the actual boxed version of Jeanette Lee's black widow style.

What exactly is the issue with re-installs anyway? Do I seriously have to pay again if I choose to re-install my machine?

As far as any limitation that gamespy might have there is really nothing anyone can do about that as it is there system to under manage as they see fit. There is stuff so old on game spy as far as some ads and other content that its not even funny. The only thing I use gamespy for at all is this game. Every other game I have ever played on there has its own interface normally to play online. Really the only other game I play that is on there as well is Unreal Tournament 2004 (yes I still play that lol).

Guess I am just stuck in my office for now till I feel like spending more money...
djvivid
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by djvivid »

I guess you are, but its not a lot of money is it, but if its a principle thing then I can understand. I've paid for this game many times over with cd versions and heck knows with dl. But playing it to me is worth the price. How much fun do you get out of other things that cost that kind of money?

Personaly I think Celeris could make more money tapping into the highly popular free online pool community. Advertising and bonus features would allow creative ways of generating constant income while a dedicated server would allow a better way to not have to use ports.. thus not restrict how many people can play on a single ip and more importantly it would not filter out all those not willing to learn port forwarding.

At the end of the day.. VP3 is the best pool sim around, if your at home not playing it because your not happy paying twice then i can only presume your a very mean man! btw.. check http://www.9balldotcom.co.uk/buyvp3dl.htm and read very carefully.. there's some excelent tips for the prudent :)
jbrother
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by jbrother »

It is not the money its the principle. It is one thing for a small company to make money but for them to have to make more money off their already payed customers is a little shady, at least using the GSA network (which works but could work a lot better). If they need money that badly they should be investing in new game development.

I guess I wouldn't mind buying several cd keys for my laptop and my pc at work so I could play on down time, but sure would prefer a package discount and buy say 3 or 5 at once. But that will probably not happen if it is not already.

If they had an active server network I would even pay a monthly fee if there were perks to doing so. Like multiple computers and a no port arrangement as you pointed out. Maybe a mailbox system on the servers and an active in game calender and ladder system built in for tourny's. One that could be updated on teh fly as people win and lose and everyone could see the results in real time without needing to do anything but play the matches, that would be a really cool addition. Who knows maybe with the next version of the game something interesting will unfold... if there is going to be another version in the future.

Oh and the port forwarding issue really should be mute these days. If someone doesn't know how to do it and is unwilling to use teh internet to tell them since it will without a doubt OR just read this forum then I don't know what to say. If they own any modern Cisco or Cisco made Linksys product it is really very straight forward.

While this site does not have specific instruction for this game it has a wealth of information for a lot of games and applications and 100's of router specifics for port configuring. http://portforward.com/
Anyone wondering about forwarding and port stuff should check it out. There are many other good ones as well.
djvivid
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by djvivid »

HI Again.

Now.. Principles, Do you bite off your nose to spite your face? When do principles prevent you enjoying yourself ? :P

As for a discount.. didn't you see the link i gave you to give you a very juice discount? how much did you hope the
discount would be, how cheap are you exactly? lol

Do you really think vp3 makes money? you don't know much about the games industry I suspect, never seen the fate
of Eidos? remember the massively popular Lara Croft adventures' "TOMB RAIDER" they went bust recently, and this
old game game has never been as remotely popular. Steve the game developer is uniquely talented at coding but not
I would suggest the best marketing person you might ever meet.

On the next paragraph you make a few good suggestions which i have been suggesting also for some time, looking at
free online pool games like "yahoo pool" one notices the major drive's for its popularity are the ease of set up, and
the real time statistics, people do enjoy fighting it out in tables! GSA we know calculates our scores for every
game we play on GSA and that could of driven a real time table's and player stats.

A dedicated server would be more configurable and surely is the answer for the above issue, and the Port Forwarding
issue for routers! If you look around these forums and the VP3 help sites you will see we try to help as much as we can,
but despite out best attempts, and that of "portforwarding.com" people still find it extremely difficult to grasp the issue
never mind manage the task. PF'ing is after all a very technical aspect of Internet protocol and it is quite unfair to expect
everyone to become an IT expert in order to play a game. I personally find on a daily basis new players requiring help. It is
certainly not as "straight forward" for them as it is for you and I.

Peace
jbrother
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by jbrother »

Principles do not keep me from enjoying myself, at least as long as it is not at the expense of others. I did after all buy one copy so far. They do make me hesitate about buying more without asking the questions that I have been.

As far as discount goes do you think I actually payed full price for this? I do own an older version and did figure out that they offer a coupon for users that previously... well everyone apparently lol. I was referring to a bulk discount for someone who was willing to buy multiple copies at one time.

I actually know a lot more about Eidos than you might imagine, and business in general for that matter. One of my best friends has worked for Eidos in California for many years... WORKED... not anymore though. It sucks for him but he is a smart lad and will get a job elsewhere I am sure. As far as business goes do businesses not try to save money exactly as I am? There is almost never harm in asking a simple question like I did about a discount, and no I highly doubt Celeris is making much of a profit at this point, if they where there would probably be more games with there name on them. However that does not mean I will not think about my side of the deal either. I want them to stay in business of course. I would like very much to see an updated modern day 2009 version of VPool hit the market that would really be a pleasant sight. I am willing to possibly purchase more serials for this game as well, but not without asking about the possibilities that I already have.

No PFing is probably not as straight forward as I say. I take it for granted often considering I have been doing this a long time. However an intelligent person should be capable of educating themselves on any subject. At least to the level of a competent layman user, especially with all the help that is being offered world wide from the internet. I have a degree in computer science and that probably makes me very jaded on these issues, and I do not mean to offend anyone that is not in that position. Everyone has a different learning curve. As long as they are willing to take the time to try on there end I am happy even if they have a hard time achieving success. Hell I would be out a lot of money if I had not figured out how to work on my own cars throughout the years. It is not that I like doing it I just do not enjoy paying say 400.00$ to get my brakes fixed (not that port forwarding costs 400.00$, lol if it did I would be rich) as an example. I am all about people learning new things and more so in America. We need children and our country men to take more pride in there intellectual basis (I am not sure you an American but I would hope you feel the same for your country of origin) so that we as a whole can be more intelligent. That however is a discussion for another time and place and is way off topic of pool:).

We can always talk about something more amusing as well. \:D/ \:D/ :strokeit:
polomint77
Banger
Banger

Post by polomint77 »

Oh, and some of us try to help by making little programs that may/may not help most people.... :P

http://www.polomint.co.cc

:bootyshake:
DISCLAIMER
All opinions expressed by myself are just that, opinions of *mine*. They are in no way anyone elses.
If you disagree with them, then please feel free to take it up with you local drunkard, hooker, or local drug dealer. Just don’t bother me with it because I couldn’t care less.
jbrother
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by jbrother »

It is really nice to see people building custom utility like that for those that need a bit more technical help than others. Be nice if other game communities were so helpful.