EeePc or Is there some way to change the Stroke?

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Bubby
Wannabe
Wannabe

EeePc or Is there some way to change the Stroke?

Post by Bubby »

It's a royal pain to use the trackpad to emulate the mouse stroke. I need a better way.
Am I crazy? And no, I can't whip out my mouse while I'm on a flight if you are going to suggest that.

Thanks!

[Oh yea, bought 2 copies because I want to get my Euro Quake playing friends playing VP3 even if I gotta buy it for them. I'm guessing they'll love it since chattering on Teamspeak is the best part for them!]
Hobbes99
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Hobbes99 »

Hmm ... this response probably comes a bit too late for you to see it, but I've never seen an alternative means of control in any of the VP games that I've played - such as keyboard-only control (i.e. VP2, VPH & VP3). The specific implementation of the mouse control is (extremely high standard of the physics aside) also one of the things that makes VP3 remain the billiards simulation of choice.

With this in mind, I'd say that your only sensible option is to consider alternative control devices that can substitute for a mouse - such as a thumb-controlled trackball. It would take a little getting used to (and isn't really going to replace a mouse outright), but with practice it would offer you similar precision and afford you a control mechanism that can be operated easily from a stationary position - unlike a mouse - and as such, is far better suited to operation in a less than ideal environment, like a plane.

Hope things worked out. ^_^
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Ive tried a trackball and you still dont get a great feel for a shot.
The best way is to tinker around with sensitivty settings of your mouse till you fell your getting a better "feel" for shots.......you will start to know when tjhis is happening cos you will play better.
Hobbes99
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Hobbes99 »

9balldotcom wrote:Ive tried a trackball and you still dont get a great feel for a shot.
Yeah ... I suppose (despite my initial comment) that I'm struggling not to agree with you, Hugh. Even though you are Scottish.

(happy new year, by the way)

Thinking on it further, and speaking purely based on personal preference, I'd probably make sure that I had a decent optical mouse (i.e. laser tracking instead of a mouse ball) and use it on my thigh. Given that you only really require mobile precision during the shot itself, as long as you can get a decent stroke on the vertical axis, the absence of decent horizontal movement could be bearable.

Quality of the mouse and the surface of your trousers/pants would make a big 'ol difference, though (that is, jeans + high-DPI mouse = usually good, while loose jogging bottoms + cheapo mouse = verbal profanity).

EDIT: Another option that might be worthy of consideration is a pen/tablet device. I've never tried one, so it's a suggestion that should definitely be tested before buying - but having known a few artists who have required the extra precision for graphics work, I've also heard many accounts of people saying that the tablet has replaced their mouse outright.

Two obvious downsides;

1) A tablet is usually much more expensive than a mouse (three figures for a decent one).

2) Not as easily portable as a mouse.

If you're using an Eee PC, chances are that you either value the portability or that you enjoy the affordability - and a tablet (whilst possibly being a great option for use on a plane) might encroach on either of the two bonuses above.