Vp3 Crisis

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Who is in favour of 4 tournaments per year in additional to World Championships with multi-TD's

YES, I WOULD LIKE MORE BIG TOURNEYS
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes: 11

mal_clarke
V10BWC 2010

Vp3 Crisis

Post by mal_clarke »

Hi,

I have noticed that there are the same old faces appearing in each weekly 9-Ball tournament, and worryingly for everyone only around 8 - 10 at best on most weeks.

I applaud Hugh for hosting the weekly tournaments, as without him the scene would fold to a standstill. I'm not knocking the other TD's but without the Friday 9 ball I probably wouldn't play online very often. It's also nice to know that each week I know the tournament will be on, hopefully no one is taking that for granted, and I plan to play on most weeks.

I also applaud Debs for initiating (or whoever did it) the applications for new TD's who can hopefully give us more tournament options every week. I think we really need to get some of the old players back playing as we have the platform and ranking system to really get people involved. Most of the quality players don't play that much and we need them back and interested. I'm ranked one for 9-Ball and there are probably five or six players better than me that don't play, that I want to go up against.

Why don't we do more of the larger tournaments and have a selection of TD's so Hugh does not bear the brunt of a large WC-like undertaking. For example, we could have the European Championships of Snooker, 8 Pub & 9 Ball and that would keep people playing and practising all year. That gets 64 or more entries and more of these (like a pro tour) would get the fun back into it, and the larger matches people enjoy, as shown by the large turn-outs each tournament brings, in some cases nearly ten times higher than the weekly ones.

It would be easy to structure it so these big events play across January to September or late Sept and the rest is the off-season. I just think if we thought about it we can all improve our play of this fantastic game. Thats six large events, as well as more weeklys.

Fill in the poll above and reply with any thoughts, and if it's what everyone wants, lets get Nugget to send out the emails and get playing. I'm more than happy to help run these bigger tournaments, and maybe 3 or 4 people in a committee-like structure would see that it runs easily each year.

Important note, if you are not for the multi TD idea but like the idea of bigger events, still say yes as this is easily sorted

To clarify, vote yes if you would be in favour of the following events yearly.

World Championships of Snooker
World Championships of 8-Pub
World Championships of 9-Ball
European* Championships of Snooker
European* Championships of 8-Pub
European* Championships of 9-Ball

*Name can be decided on later. It would be easy then to do another ranking table of players performance solely in these blue-chip events.

Thanks,
Mal255
My new Virtual Pool blog:

http://virtualpool4.blogspot.com
realcue
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by realcue »

ill be honest mal i dont play as many tourneys now for the simple fact thats there are not many people entering them, which i suppose by me not entering them is just as bad
mal_clarke
V10BWC 2010

Post by mal_clarke »

So the larger events would encourage you to play more, I think that's my point and I'm probably in the same boat. It's almost a self-fulfilling thing, we don't play because not many do, hence smaller fields. These large tournaments will help.

9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Just a point Mal.(maybe you need to clarify this)

I dont think we should have a European tournament of any description if its going to be based on European players only.....VP3 Tournaments are not local,they are world-wide and should be open to anyone who has the game and wants to join in

As for doing World Championships,well thats something that I thought was sorely lacking in VP3 when i used to stand on the sidelines watching tourneys when i first came to Gamespy......I thought why is no one running a Virtual World Championships at snooker or 9ball...I couldnt understand why.So these were the only two Championships I was interested in running,so consequently they are the only two,that id really want to do long term.As for any other person who wants to run something like that TD or not TD then they can feel free to do so.
mal_clarke
V10BWC 2010

Post by mal_clarke »

The clarification is already in my original post if you read it carefully. I put a star next to the name saying that its the easiest thing to change. If you called your tournament anything other than the World Championships there would be less entrants, hence my wish to give it a good name. But of course UK Championships is the second largest snooker tournament yet open to everyone irl if you can qualify.

It should not only be down to you to run it Hugh there are loads of us who play. I may try to set one up, but I'm not a TD and I've already applied twice and was ignored.

I would not know how to get the message to everyone that the tournament will be hosted, although I'm all ears to getting this in place. I just think the tournament system gives it credibility.

Your tournaments are great I just think perhaps there is room for someone to do something similar when yours are not running. Leave yours as the worlds, and offer another similar event under a different but yet prestigious name nonetheless.

Rocket
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Rocket »

It would be nice to see the vp3leagues come back or maybe a pool series like i did many years ago
snope
Hustler
Hustler

Post by snope »

league play seemed to be alot more fun to me and attracted alot of people...I like the leagues
in the final analysis love is the answer
mojoicus
Banger
Banger

Post by mojoicus »

Yeah leagues would be great
Rocket
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Rocket »

i think satman did the last 9ball leagues and had a great website up
not seen him tho in about 12 months but saying that not been on much myself
Albinario
V8BWC 2006 VCWC 2007 VWSC 2008/2010

Post by Albinario »

yes that was v nice. somebody could take over, i think it's still up.