Floating Balls in Hawg Pen

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Anonymous

Floating Balls in Hawg Pen

Post by Anonymous »

When playing in Career Mode at Hawg Pen, all the balls appear to be suspended a couple of millimetres above the table surface. I'm guessing it is probably to do with my graphics setup (I recently started using an LG M1917TM LCD monitor and I think that's when I first noticed this problem). I have tried changing the resolution and other graphics settings in the game. It doesn't appear to affect the game physics, it just looks weird. I am running the latest version of VP3 DL with patch 3239.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to overcome this
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I played career mode several times and never had the problem.
In your situation, I'd try the following:
1. Update your graphic card driver
2. Try to set your LCD monitor to its native resolution, that is the max resolution for your monitor. I looked up and it's 1280*1024 for your model. And play the game in full screen mode at 1280*1024 too. In fact, lcd monitors have a fixed resolution, unlike CRT's, and other resolutions are only adaptations of this resolution.
3. If it won't work, try to play the game in desktop mode instead of full screen.

Hope this helps.

Franck
:manure:
Hobbes99
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Hobbes99 »

:sign6:

Your use of monitor should not have any bearing whatsoever on the engine output of your graphics card. Either something else is at play, or it's an optical illusion, so to speak - simply making the game look odd due to the way the colours are displayed. It's certainly true that LCD monitors can make some colours seem to 'jump out', almost as if you were looking at a hologram (red text on a black background is quite common). Can you post a screenshot ..? This may immediately prove whether or not it's something game / driver related or not.

In order to get a screenshot, press the Print Screen button whilst in the game, and then use any image editing program (such as 'Paint', bundled with Windows, or dedicated app, such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop) in order to paste the clipboard and save it as a JPG, or whatever ...
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I bet 10$ on the desktop mode tho to solve the problem temporarily. :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried Desktop mode and that certainly fixed the problem. I then experimented with the setup of monitor contrast, graphics card and game settings/brightness and the problem disappeared.

I guess it was indeed an optical illusion - the contrast/brightness setting had to be drastically different for the new monitor. Until I got it right I think the ball shadow was not showing properly, and the thickness of the "missing" shadow was just about how much the balls were floating.

I much appreciate your taking the trouble to help me out. Cheers
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

No problem, enjoy this great game :occasion2: