psu suggestions please

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Londonchris
Wannabe
Wannabe

psu suggestions please

Post by Londonchris »

Must say this new for`um skin is quite snazzy!

Anyway back to the topic.. I decided i need a new psu, and although i only want a mid-range AGP vidocard for now i thought i might get a psu good enough to last till i get a new machine with PCIe slots and can afford a decent card.
So any suggestions?
I need ATX type, with decent 12V lines maybe 5 or 600w?
Also should i get sli type? (will it still work with an agp?)
Passive or active?
So many choices and so little knowledge....

Cheers.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Hi Chris,
When I had to change my psu, i based my choice on several critaeria: voltage, power, noise and heat.
I don't really understand anything to voltages so I guess I have no advice to give except they shouldn't be too low but low enough (lol).
As far as power is concerned: the more powerful it is the better, but beware of the price (i suppose it's an issue otherwise you'd just go for an Antec at 60€ or more), there's sometimes a big difference (unjustified) between a 480 and a 500W from the same model. I'd go minimum for a 480W but you need to know that the latest hardware is very demanding in power consumption.
Noise and heat: I solved the problem with choosing a model with a 120mm fan rather than 80, result: I lost 10°C in the case and the cpu and the noise was reduced a lot.
If you want brands, I'd say Antec or Thermaltake, but I did find what I wanted in noname and I'm very happy with it. Price difference: 40€ ....
By the way, http://www.journeysystems.com/power_sup ... ulator.php
is a site where you can calculate your power consumption depending on your hardware.

Hope that helps and if not, I had a great time writing this lol.
Franck
Londonchris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post by Londonchris »

NamfatTitan wrote:
Hope that helps and if not, I had a great time writing this lol.
Franck
All info helps... or leads to more confusion!
Cheers Franck.
As for having a great time writing i seem to have got abit carried away today aswell.
Good to liven up the forum abit ...